LVT question

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Samson, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

We have been asked to install Karndean to an 18mm chipboard floor which has underfloor heating directly under, and touching the bottom of it. I do not like the idea of nailing or screwing plywood onto this board which has additionally had the joints planed and sanded.
    How would you tackle this? Is screeding, or adhering directly to the chipboard an option under these circumstances?

2. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

3. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

4. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Uzin rr620 might be an option

5. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Use the 19mm coil nails with 6mm ply or 22mm coil nails with 9mm and there’s no chance at all they will pertrude out the bottom of 18mm chipboard. That’s why there that length

6. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

You've never had one punch right through a weak spot in the ply?

7. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Not to my knowledge. The guns got an adjustable counter sink on it so if it’s set up correctly and the air pressure isn’t to high it puts them just below the surface. I’d mark out were the planed bits are and just proceed as normal. You could even go to the extent of marking we’re the pipe runs are if your still a little unnerved

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Or screw it down. More control.

9. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. Decided to go with the Uzin product suggested by Paul Webb, as it is a 90m2 project with massive implications with a puncture of the heating system.

10. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Can’t comment of it as I have never used it. Sub floor must have to be perfect for the end result to look decent does it?

11. Adam Ribbz

Adam Ribbz Well-Known Member

Is the chpboard fixed to anything or just floating..?……“Joints sanded and planed”….sounds like loads of movement already, personally I’d not take it on.

12. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Floorfixx comfort maybe ?