LVT round pipework with underlay

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by grufflepin, Nov 5, 2022.

1. grufflepin

grufflepin Member

I'm hoping this is the right place to ask, I'm laying some Novacore LVT in a small downstairs toilet and plan to tile (tiled skirting for most of it) which would make it challenging to change anything with the flooring afterwards so I'm keen to get it right first time

The subfloor is T&G floorboards, over which I've laid standard ply (9mm) for a perfectly flat surface, followed by Arbiton LVT underlay (1mm). However, were I've laid the LVT around the pipework I've drilled holes and cut them along the width (see screenshots). The room is about 650mm x 1800mm so laying the LTV the other way (as you'd usually do for pipework) wasn't really an option.
    My concern is that the underlay provides some "bounce" to the floor and the joins where the LVT has been cut along the width to go around pipework may become uneven over time..I imagine a glue seal along the joins would eventually break when pressure is applied either side - with it being such a small room I imagine the floor is likely to be stood on in that area.

Would I be better off removing the underlaying completely and lay the LVT straight onto the ply? The LVT is supposed to be 100% waterproof anyway but I figured I could varnish the ply to give it an additional precautionary moisture barrier then I could lay the LVT flat with a glue join (and maybe spray adhesive it down either side of the join)or is there a better way of doing this?

TIA

Attached Files:

2. crazydaze

crazydaze Active Member

I'm not familiar with the product but just had a quick look at the website, it suggests the product has a pre-attached underlay and that adding an extra underlayment is not required and voids warranty?

How was the ply laid?

3. grufflepin

grufflepin Member

I think you can get different types of it, the Novacore LVT I have came from Wickes and doesn't have underlay as part of it though. I can't post the link because I haven't posted enough but it's product code "236755" on the Wickes website. The product description recommends an underlay to use which coincidentally is the Arbiton one.

The ply is screwed into the T&G beneath it (photo attached)

Attached Files:

• img3.jpg
      img3.jpg
      File size:
      124.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I would have cut a triangle that sits behind the pipe to the wall then you got less chance of it being disturbed with feet, you got any left?

5. grufflepin

grufflepin Member

Hm good shout, I think there's some left

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yes cut out the back of the pipe at a angle. You can then glue it back together after