Magnesite Screed Nightmare

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by thelions, Apr 30, 2020.

1. thelions

thelions New Member

Hello!

Domestic question for 1950s house, my carpet started to get bumps beneath, rolled back and found pink screed cracked and delaminated from concrete subfloor. Can this stuff be leveled and have laminate or lvt put over it?

Causing us a headache as don't want to decorate if the floors got to be ripped up!

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Magnesite must be completely removed
    It has to breath to survive

Dig it all up (Its possibly up to 50mm thick) Then lay DPM/Visqueen sheets tanked up the walls and lay new concrete or use an epoxy liquid DPM tanked up the walls and lay a deep base screed

3. thenode

thenode Active Member

Sorry but you can't screed magnesite or remove it...usually full of asbestos. You can lay laminate/engineered wood over it or the new SPC rigid click. If you want LVT then best to use jumpax dual sytem for sub-floor prep and glue it down (click lvt is a bit poor)

4. Spacey

No you can't lay anything on it bar carpet but if its swelled its already taken in moisture it's failed. The fillers in it are sawdust and wood pulp Asbestos is possible
    Also there will be no mechanical DPM under the slab underneath it

It must be removed Get it tested for Asbestos first

5. thenode

thenode Active Member

sorry didn't finish.... then put house on market and leg it:)

6. Spacey

I'm sure some would

7. thelions

thelions New Member

Unfortunately these are the answers I've been dreading. Neighbour tested his for asbestos and came back clear. Removal and relaying of screed, is this the the type of thing a decent general builder would be capable of?

8. Spacey

Probably not I wouldn't let a builder build

9. Yiddo1982

Yiddo1982 Well-Known Member

Why is it if you get a leak you get a plumber. An electric problem you hire a spark. Decorating you employ a painter but when people need a floor done they get in a builder

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk