Mould and damp under vinyl floor

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Bilbo, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Hello

This Forum was recommended to me so new to this. We had mould underneath our vinyl in our kitchen where hot water pipes run. I have attached pictures throughout the journey.

We assumed it was a leak so a trace and detection company was bought in although they did not find anything a plumber did after pressure testing. During the various phases we have tried to dry out that area but have found some oddities along the way. You can see from the pictures there appears to be a membrane that has been cut and a membrane that was laid on top of the pipe run. My concern is that the way these pipes have either been laid or repaired in the past it has introduced damp onto the floor.

The walls are not wet to touch but are holding moisture and this has been tested with a moisture meter.

I am at a bit of a loss.

Is it just the aftermath of the leak or do I have a problem.

You can see screed and concrete and the definition between the trench that was dug.

Insurance are removing the Marley tiles from the lounge then the dehumidifiers and fans are coming in to dry out. So interested in a relay of equivalent and also what would be required for the kitchen?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

What age is the property ?

3. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Was built mid 70s I am trying to get some of the pictures reduced in size.

4. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

More pics

Attached Files:

5. Spacey

Have you checked that theres a DPC under the concrete slab ?

I'd say by the looks of it the pipes have been leaking at some point but it could also be moisture coming up through the ground beneath due to either No or a failed damp course

6. Spacey

Also are they copper pipes and where where they covered to protect from oxidation?

7. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Hi thanks for the reply.

They are copper pipes and they are covered the more you get into the hole they move into the lounge. They were not covered in that area but cannot comment for the rest under the concrete.

I can feel a plastic sheet above the pipes to the right hand side but you can see a clear sheet and a the cut DPC where the hole is.

8. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Is there anyway that it could be fixed. I am having the pipes run from drops from the rads in the bedrooms. I don't know the history of the house we moved in 2015. Just having a really bad time of it.

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You should get a certificate from the company that is drying out. They will be able to point out if this moisture is from the leak and will dry out or if it’s rising damp which will never fully dry out.
    If the pipes are not lagged they can corrode in concrete and can leak at any point at any time. It’s either dig up the slab and fix/check all the pipes or dry out the water from the leak. Get the slab tested after and have a surface dpm applied?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

So the Marley tiles are being bought up on the 8th July once this is done the drying will commence. How would the slab be tested? And I am guessing it would be in the lounge and the kitchen

11. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Will the surface DPM not just push the moisture up the walls?

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It will only push moisture up the walls if you have a leak or extreme amounts of rising damp. Moisture will pass through a surface dpm but at a controlled rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Ok thanks.
    Can I put vinyl back down or will this act as another DPM so to speak. As insurance will put down like for like.