Need advice on Kardean parquet tiles

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Diarmid, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Diarmid

Diarmid Member

Hello,

I had a new floor laid last autumn when we extended our kitchen. The floor was uneven i the new area, however I was advised that it would be levelled and wasn't made aware or any issues beforehand. A few months after the floor was laid, I noticed a ridge had developed down the floor. I contacted my builder who laid the floor and he said that the levels were really bad in the new extension and they did the best they could and that imperfections were inevitable when marrying old with new. Every time I walk in the room, I find it irritating to look at and I my wife is reluctant for me to pursue the matter though I am really disappointed with how it has turned out. I would appreciate your advice as to whether I should pursue the builder. The room comprises suspended and solid floors and a screed was laid to "level" before the tiles were laid. I think the tiles settled over time and so the ridge was immediately apparent though they must have seen it when they laid the floor as they would had to have pressed the tiles over the ridge. I accept that the perfect floor may be hard to achieve but there is a ridge that could have been buffed out before the floor was laid I think.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh gosh, that's not good at all.
    It needs taking up back far enough to first see if there is a crack then take it from there.

Did you say 'builder' did your flooring? Or did he get a floorlayer in to do it?

Surely it wasnt like that when he laid it o_O

3. Rugmunching

....and he could have shuffled the tiles better :rolleyes:

This all depends if you knew it was there and allowed him to tile over it after he said he'll try and level the floor but you ain't that daft surely!

4. Diarmid

Diarmid Member

Hello, the builder did it himself. there was no mention of any unevenness when the floor was initially laid and i dont think it looked like this when it was first done as I'm sure I would have noticed it as I cant miss it now!

5. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

Cheap skate builders owt to save a buck don’t listen to any advise you give them make him take it all up and then get a floorlayer and bill him

6. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

Bet it doesn’t have a dpm

7. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Looks like the floors are different heights, from what it looks like, ideally at least the lowest floor needs uplifting and bringing up to height, if that's not an option then it may be possible to uplift a couple of rows and blend the subfloor in better, but then you run the risk of changing the surface area of the floor and the planks may no longer fit

8. Diarmid

Diarmid Member

thank you, in all honesty I dont think I can face the upheaval of having the entire floor lifted as the room has been otherwise well finished

9. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

Like someone said when you fix the ridge you will change the surface area of the subfloor and you’d be very lucky to keep it in bond herringbone can run out of bond very easy i think you need to bit the bullet and have I floor you enjoy rather than looking at it everyday and getting wound up charge the builder he should have got a professional in why should you put up with it

10. Diarmid

Diarmid Member

I've messaged him again telling him I'm unhappy with it and asking him to come round and look at it and waiting to hear back. He had also put a bead of silicone around the skirting and end panels of the kitchen units and i can see it being a massive upheaval to take it all up and i'm not sure if my wife would be up for it. Thanks very much for your advice

11. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

He put silicone around edge because if you don’t know what you doing it’s difficult to cut it neat also if it was a fresh concrete slab it needs a dpm on top of the slab aswell as the dpm under the slab as these take z bout a year to dry out bet he didn’t take a moisture test sorry if I seem harsh but the amount of times a see this from builders pains me

12. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

A good floorlayer could sort that by just taking that section out It wouldn't be perfect but definitely less noticeable

13. Diarmid

Diarmid Member

Thank you, I am happy with the rest of the floor as it looks really well... and I am fussy, its just this hump and I really dont want the upheaval of the whole floor being lifted. I would hope that the hump could be removed and the tiles relaid

14. Rugmunching

So after a few months its dropped one side and caused the ridge, let's hope it doesnt fall anymore else you'll be needing a nosing put on that edge :confused:

15. Rugmunching

...and dont 'make do', you paid stacks I'd imagine so the least you want is a flat floor without a trip hazard!!

16. chris1973

chris1973 Member

There's movement underneath wether it be plywood or screed or both? It's fixable from what I can see. Get the tiler back to investigate underneath and see what the problem is. It could be bad hole filling by the builder before the floorlayers screed.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

17. Rugmunching

Floorlayer?? What you been reading....builder did it all :eek:

18. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

What was the builders name Harry havago

19. chris1973

chris1973 Member

I didn't notice that oh well he needs to get his arse back and put the blame firmly on the builder!

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

20. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Do you have enough left over to replace that section? If not, do you still have a box ? Just that if you need to get more, there can be sheen differences, i think it's made in two factories one box is normally taped the other is glued, if you mix them, it can stand out a mile