New floor advice - parquet / engineered wood

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Andronicus, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Andronicus

Andronicus New Member

Hi,

new to the forum, I've read all the posts I can on the subject, but wanted to get some specific advice.

We currently have some 5-finger teak/mahogany parquet in hallway and dining room that was laid by previous owner. They used 4mm hardboard over floorboards, and it's a really poor job. The blocks don't align up with each other as it looks as though the fitter laid the blocks in 9x9 tiles.

The floor is reasonably stable, looks almost acceptable, but I'd like to replace it.

It's a Victorian house, with cellars. Floorboards aren't in great shape, large gaps between boards and some cupping, splits etc. I suspect whatever floor we go with, the subfloor will need to be replaced with plywood.

I'd really like to go with herringbone parquet, either solid or engineered. The wife wants LVT, but I'd really prefer real wood, considering the age/style of the house.

What installation prep should I expect a professional fitter to perform? Plywood thickness, screeding etc?

What kind of cost should I expect for 40m2 (Hallway and 2 rooms)? I will get some quotes from local fitters, but would like to get a rough idea what to expect before wasting anyone's time.

Would LVT be considerably cheaper?

2. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

You are probably looking at somewhere between £4000 -£5000 depending on manufacturer/style of floor you want, wood can go a lot more than that, but you should be able to find something within that sort of price range.
    Is thickness a consideration? The floor you have now, is probably around 14mm thick, lvt somewhere between 8mm and 13mm depending on prep required. Engineered around 21mm and solid around 27mm.
    If thickness isn't a consideration and prices aren't massively different, then i'd start by finding a floor you like the appearance of and go from there

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Replace the floorboards with chipboard glued and screwed. Then overlay with sp101 or fg1 plywood. Then you can install either floor to that. As it’s a old property you will need to make sure it’s all dry enough and is protected from damp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk