New to the Trade - Any Guidance or help

Discussion in 'Flooring Courses' started by mgupta, Aug 28, 2012.

1. mgupta

mgupta New Member

Hi,

I'm 32 yrs old and I plan to change profession from my curent full time job to the flooring trademanship. Any pointers,advice or learning material from all you experience guys is highly appreciated and go a long way in building my confidence to make this big move.

I've seen some good courses on the floor skilss website but there aren't any confirmed dates for the coming months? Which course would be best for me?

Thanks,
    Manish

2. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

an apprenticeship mate would be best go and work for a quality flooring installer for a few years to start to learn the trade, then go and subby for a couple more yearss to build the quality of your lone work, then finally make the plunge into doing your own work whilst all the while keeping your CPD up to date with courses, NVQ's seminars etc...

3. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

Hi Manish,

yes we dont have any set dates for course yet as we are in the middle of moving to what will be the U.Ks largest and most advanced training center for floorcoverings :cool: we have had the center purpose built.

We obviously want to get the training center up and running to full speed before we release new dates. At moment we are only running in house training course for staff and manufactures staff to pick out any weak points with the center. After all we dont want to be taking peoples money and over looked something on our courses we are not ready to show / do etc. We want it 110% before we let anyone in!

Anyway, i think you would be best suited to a apprenticeship. If you can get yourself someone to employ you for a few days a week, we can 'FloorSkills' get you full government funding to attend the training center for over 30 days of FREE training ! At the end of it we will even help you through getting a NVQ qualification also FREE.

All you need to do is get someone to employ you as a fitter to be able to do the above. Like i say its FREE.