Oak Parquet over two different sub floors

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Jimbob, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Jimbob

Jimbob Member

Hi

New to the forum and needing some advice on an upcoming flooring project.

I’m going to be fitting 70m of oak parquet into a room that has recently been knocked through to create a kitchen diner. It will be herringbone pattern and is unfinished.

The room has two different sub floors, one concrete and one wooden floor boards.

The floors are different levels and the current wooden floor is in poor condition, so I’m going to put a new wooden floor down that will be level with the concrete floor.

My questions are:

What’s the best way to fix the parquet in this application? I was wanting to use and adhesive to fix it to the sub floors.

Will I need some sort of expansion joint where the two sub floors meet? I hope not, as I want a continuous floor.

Any other advice on laying the floor, it’s the first time I’ve used parquet.

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You should really install a decoupling mat or similar over the area first then you can bond to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jimbob

Jimbob Member

Thanks. I’ve seen these used with tiling, didn’t realise they could be used for wooden flooring as well.

4. Jimbob

Jimbob Member

any recommendations for decoupling matts and adhesive to do this job?

5. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Murexin buddy, they do decoupling boards or on a roll, plus all the correct Adhesives, uni boards are 4/9/15mm or the mat is called AE100.

6. Notnefmail

Notnefmail New Member

I have a very similar predicament, albeit I’m also matching to an existing lay of parquet at the entrance to the room (it’s an extension).

Two questions @Distinctive Adam if I can:
    1) how would you fix (or would you even need to fix) the Murexin to the concrete and floorboards?
    2) similarly, how would you then adhere solid oak parquet (new, unfinished) above?

There seems to be 1,001 ways to lay parquet, it’s difficult to ascertain which is the best approach - even when speaking with professionals.

I had been advised to lay a 5mm plywood subfloor, with 1” screw and plugs every 12”/300mm spaced. I’m keen for the floor to be able to move adequately, given it is settling into a new half of the house.

Any advice is much appreciated!