Odours following new carpets and underlay - unpleasant

Discussion in 'FAQ Section For Consumers' started by Ionising, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Ionising

Ionising New Member

Hi, I would be grateful for any advice. I had new underlay (rubber based) and carpets installed in June. There has been a strong unpleasant smell since then. I took advice that it would dissipate in time (and to give it at least a couple of months) and followed all the advice re opening windows and doors. While it has improved a little it has not improved significantly. The business owner came to assess and in their view it is likely the underlay and should continue to improve (and therefore there is no issue - except perhaps my psychological one! ). While I do pick up on smells quite easily I've had several carpets over the course of my lifetime and I've not come across this before. I'm not sure what to do next and would appreciate any feedback offered. I do understand about 'offgassing' but it's been several weeks and I'm concerned it isn't going to improve any further.

2. d'Arcy

d'Arcy Well-Known Member

What make is the carpet?

3. Ionising

Ionising New Member

Thank you for responding. It's Smart Textures .. written down as S/F smart textures

4. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I love the cosi underlay when first unwrapped, smell like I'm amongst a grow :cool:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Rubber gassing off! doesnt sound good to me. Shouldn’t be able to smell that through the carpets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. d'Arcy

d'Arcy Well-Known Member

I was wondering if it was an enzyme imbalance in the latex on the back. A certain carpet company whose name may or not begind with a C and end in an R are having some right old times this last year...

I have no idea who Smart Textures are though.... (actually, having just googled, it's Abingdon StainFree under a different name - I haven't had any issues with their odours, so probably is just the underlay....)