open plan stairs

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by FM Flooring, Oct 9, 2014.

1. FM Flooring

FM Flooring Active Member

When doing a wrap around on a step do any of you guys put gripper on the sides of the treads to get it tighter on the width and stop any possible wrinkles?

2. pro.fit

pro.fit New Member

Nope, when i heat seam the open plan stairs i make sure i have tension on them.

3. FM Flooring

I never even knew anyone seamed open plan steps. The guys who taught me always just used staples, and that's fine when there's a beam of wood underneath the tread where you can finish the carpet but the one I had today didn't have that so I just had to let the carpet meet underneath and staple it together.

How do you go about seaming a step? From underneath? And how do you keep the right tension on the step while to do your seam?

4. Cre8tiveflooring

Cre8tiveflooring Well-Known Member

Carpet awls, and join from the top.

5. FM Flooring

I thought it would be a big no no to put a join on the top of the tread due to wear. I assume you mean you use your carpet awl to keep the right tension? I've never used an awl like that, and I'm having a hard time picturing how to go about it, I just use an awl to tuck the carpet into the gripper in those hard to reach places.

6. Cre8tiveflooring

Spin it round so the join is under Neath.

7. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Ha ha ha

8. FM Flooring

Cheers, I'll be trying this next time I get an open plan.

9. Cre8tiveflooring

Laugh away Stacey

10. saxham

saxham New Member

Depends on the stair,if it has a cross support bar then i would use gripper. last open plan stairs were a complete wrap around, stapled to rear raiser then covered with a wooden feature strip.

11. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

I have already had the first phone call about this thread with a fitter in a mess ! so -

Before anyone tries anything, joining on the top and spinning does have some hidden secrets. I would practice on a mock up step until you master it or simply visit floorskills to learn the in's and outs before trying it on a customers stair case.

Either that or its at your own risk ! please do not phone floorskills asking how things are done as you have taken on a job and your simply stuck or what you thought would work is not working.

Sorry to sound negative but the floorskills phone is ringing every day with fitters who have seen photos or heard about some of our methods without actually attending a course. All thats happening is a lot of fitters getting themselves in a mess. We are not a free technical support line. Yes we dont mind giving out advice and we WILL give out advice and help to people who have attended a course but we are not here to offer free advice to fitters who are trying methods without any sort of training or minimum of trying before hand. To many people digging holes !

Its getting beyond a joke at FloorSkills with just how many calls we are getting from fitters who have no intention in visiting ourselves and cant complete what they offered to customers.

sorry for being so blunt, but it is taking the pee to be fair.

12. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Oh... you get them as well.... :mad:

13. Cre8tiveflooring

I feel it's partly my fault so I apologise.

14. FM Flooring

Just to be clear, It wasn't me who phoned Floorskills asking for free advice because they got themselves in a mess. And I joined this forum and became a trade member because I have every intention of doing the Floorskills training courses because my long term goal it to become an accredited fitter, plus I'm dead set against doing any FITA courses since they got into bed with CR.

15. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes its defiantly your fault :lol:

16. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone think it was you personally.... :rolleyes: :D

17. Matt

LOL,

Im not saying its anyone on the forums fault or who is phoning me.

Im not just talking about open plan stairs, we get many calls normally people attempting to bend lvt. One chap for example got him self in such a mess he was offering to pay me more than double the cost of the actual course if i would go out and 'bend' the lvt for him. When asking why he didnt just come on a course, his reply was " im not paying for a course when i can work out how to do it myself" ummmm....... well are you not offering me double the cost of the course in the first place to come and do it for you ? reply " i thought i knew how to do it and im half way through the floor now so cant wait for next course"

Anyway, its not a member off here, just some one that was reading on here. Not a member.

18. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

I think Matt you strike a valid point, this site in my view has changed a lot in the past year.

19. Matt

for good or worse?

i have personnally taken a back seat as i was to "strict" should we say, maybe i was , hence taking a back seat.

20. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Can't understand people experimenting on customers goods. Fair enough if you have plenty of time and enough waste material to redo it. Why take on something you can't do and potentially cost you a lot of money.

Matt I know you a very helpful and I I know everyone on here appreciates that, but if someone phones you how do you know their a fitter and not some handyman?. I agree you should "politely" tell then to bog of as giving advise over the phone your giving them a form of support, leaving you open to claims of that's how you told them to do it.