Please Help

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by realone1, Jul 27, 2019.

1. realone1

realone1 Member

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some advice, as I have got myself into a real pickle with researching which LVT to have fitted in my mum's house. She is getting on and in poor health, so I am trying to organise a total living room makeover for her so she can have the lovely room that she deserves. Unfortunately there is a very old moth eaten carpet at present which has to go. She has a dog, so I thought LVT would be good instead of a carpet. She doesn't want another carpet after the unfortunate moth problems the last year and laminate is too cold for her. The room is 27sqm.

I initially had decided on Karndean loose-lay, as it seemed the simplest thing, and very nearly ordered it until i saw a lot of bad reviews online. These bad reviews were mixed between a lot of visible scratches very quickly and separation of the tiles. So it looks like possibly Karndean Van Gogh as hopefully glued down wouldn't have the separation issues? But then I have read about VG not being very hard wearing and don't know if i should be going for Moduleo instead? To be honest, i've got myself exhausted with it and don't know anyone who has this flooring to ask their opinions. I need to organise it this week.

It needs to be durable on account of having a dog and the other issue is trying to keep the cost reasonable, as she just gets by and I'm helping her. I've seen the Karndean VG for cheaper online than the store we looked at, so was thinking of buying that and finding a floor fitter to do it.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

VG is great

3. realone1

realone1 Member

Sorry, i meant to ask if there is something cheaper than Karndean VG that is good and durable but perhaps cheaper per sqm then i'd be happy to hear advice on that.

4. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

I have had VG in my house for 15 years. 3 dogs, 3 kids, and often up to 8 of us living there.
    Still looks good, can`t wear it out.
    Best to buy and have installed by a local firm, then, should there be any problems, you have some recourse

5. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Look on gumtree or ebay you might get lucky with finding something cheaper than normal but no warranty, still gonna probably cost ya at least a monkey to get fitted though so way that up against a local independents price, get a 0.5mm wear layer product and you should be fine what ever you choose

6. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

VG or Art select

7. realone1

realone1 Member

Hi, thanks for your replies so far.

I’ve been looking at the Lifestyle Flooring website which has VG french oak for £27.50. It works out £200+ cheaper than the shop I looked in, which I could put towards having it fitted. It says in the description there’s a 15 year warranty, does that look legit or would there be an issue? I need to look online for a fitter.

I need the least upheaval for my mum so I do worry if there’s an issue with the flooring etc.

(Sorry if this is tedious, appreciate the input!)

8. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Where are you based?

9. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Karndean offer a lifetime guarantee on products purchased through an authorised retailer, might be worth phoning karndean and checking if what lifestyle flooring are offering is valid

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Any decent flooring supplier should be able to show you a cheaper option. Wholesalers have their own brand of Lvt that will be cheaper than Karndean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Paul webb

True, we have plenty of other brands around £20sqm, with an actual manufacturer guarantee and fitting guarantee,that are now outselling karndean

12. d'Arcy

d'Arcy Well-Known Member

Universal... Basically same spec as VG, more texture to hide any potential micro-scratches, and around 2/3rds* the price...

https://universallvt.co.uk/

*if that....

13. realone1

realone1 Member

In Glasgow.

14. realone1

realone1 Member

Paul what brands are these please? I've been to a couple of places to look at Karndean/Moduleo but didn't see other brands...

15. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Luvanto , Vusta , Moduleo select , Earthwerks tempo , TLC massimo

All of them are decent and cheaper then Van Gogh.

16. Paul webb

What he said, plus polyflor, natural solutions, lvt by artist, lifestyle floors (not to be confused with the coincidentally closely named lifestyle flooring)

17. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

I’m in Glasgow if you want advice on anything pm me , I’m fully booked into September but could help you out if you can wait a while .

18. realone1

realone1 Member

Could any one make a recommendation for click wooden effect LVT? Is there any drawbacks to them?

19. realone1

realone1 Member

Thanks Paul, that’s kind of you. I need to get it sorted in the next couple of weeks so September is a bit far away. I was thinking of going to West End Flooring, if you have any suggestions of where to go PM me. Thank you.

20. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You can only use clic if there’s no direct sunlight on the floor anywhere. Plus there are loads of other issues with floating vinyl. Best off sticking it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk