Power stretcher

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by FloorCandles, Mar 8, 2019.

1. FloorCandles

FloorCandles Active Member

I've been watching some videos of carpet fitting on YouTube, almost all are American and they seem to use a power stretcher no matter the size or quality of the carpet. If they don't they are torn apart in the comment section as people say the "carpet will go baggy" etc. I've searched through some threads to see if this has come up before but didn't find anything. Why is it the norm over there to use one and I've never even seen one in the UK? Cheers

2. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Loads of people will say anything over a 4m x 4m should be power stretched.
    I'm the same as you, never used one.
    I remember my dad bought one, and it stayed brand new in the lock up for years until he finally gave it away.

3. W.A Flooring

W.A Flooring Member

I've had one for 4 years and it's a fantastic bit of kit

Quite regularly use it on carpets below the BS reg size just to have an easy day on my knees, if I was purely carpets I'd most likely have it set up in sections in the van ready to go.

There's also the getting out the shit when a cut comes in short and it needs to be fitted

4. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

I have 2, im not sure if american carpets constructed differently to UK, but they atleast have standards over there that people are expected to adhere to and are rightfully torn apart if they dont. wish it was the same here, we might be worth a bit more that way. Ive used mine to stretch carpets that have come in short or plans are wrong etc, (6 already this year, one house was being done in a discontinued colour so if it didnt fit it could have been a full replacement job)

it takes about 5 mins to get in the house and set up,but once its set up it barely takes any longer to stretch with, starts to take longer when the rooms are all over the place as the architects in this country seem to love designing. Takes me an extra 5 mins to use a power stretcher in a 4x4 room. And the stretch is superior to anything achieved with a normal knee kicker, You can feel the tension of the carpet underfoot which does lead to it wearing better.

You can easily get away with a knee stretcher as long as you stretch properly,but it will never wear as well as if it was power stretched and thats an out right fact nobody can argue with.

5. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I agree, there is a noticeable difference in the tension and when the carpet arrives 3.98 and you really need the full 4m you're unlikely to get it with a knee kicker,plus with the amount of delaminating we now get, i think that extra bit of tension might just help

6. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

order 5m wide?