Price increase

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by floorfixer, Feb 15, 2021.

1. floorfixer

floorfixer Well-Known Member

I recently received a message from our main supplier warning of a price increase across most of the popular brands from March 2021.

They are blaming Brexit which has resulted in substantial price increases for products and extra delivery charges (plus delays) from their European suppliers.

They also explained that they have furloughed some staff during the current pandemic, and their business had apparently dropped during this time.

I wonder if British manufacturers of the same products have increased their prices, or whether they will take this opportunity to grab some business by being more competitive?

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I've been told the same from my rep this morning and she's told me to order bulk of what I need as some of the price increases will come quite steep o_O

3. AngryAndy

AngryAndy Well-Known Member

Which products are you being told will be increased?

4. Rugmunching

All the Uzin screeds/adhesives
    Most of the polyflor sheet vinyls I use.
    I use alot of the condor carpets for budget ranges and they'll be going up aswell as the invictus ranges from AW.

Don't even get me on about the underlays :rolleyes:

5. Rugmunching

I use a fair bit of the vivaldi Heather's and that's already gone up by near £1.50m2 I noticed

6. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

I’m not surprised things are going up to be fair. Underlays jumped a fair hit so it was expected carpets and other bits would as well.

7. floorfixer

Their message just said 'most products' and I took this as meaning most products they acquire from europe.

I have now sourced abrasives from Birmingham and a finish product made by a well-known company in Stockport with a branch just down the road from ours.

Benefits: (1) The products can be stored in their temperature-controlled base untill I collect. (2) They have a royal warrant as Manufacturers of Wood Finishes to HM The Queen.

As both are less expensive, I am giving them a try. If the quality is OK this move will be a 'No-Brainer'

8. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

As some of you know I do import from various countries.
    Yes costs will go up due to import tax
    BUT
    The companies that have offices in this country as well as Europe
    CAN
    bring in goods internally without import charges, so I am lead to believe.

9. AngryAndy

It matters not where a company's office's is it's the country of origin (manufacture) of the product that dictates the duty on entry to the UK.
    I don't know of any goods relating to the flooring industry(carpets, underlays, adhesives, screeds) that attracts duty when entering the UK if they originate (manufactured) in the EU. Non EU tariffs remain unaltered.

There have been increases in transportation costs but these "should" be temporary until things settle down, but raw material price increases are real and I cannot see them going down.

10. Jason Sheehan

Jason Sheehan Well-Known Member

Someone with common sense, alot of devious companies are simply 'trying it on', source UK supplier and when they realise UK buyers wont be ripped off they will return to normal prizes. Oh and blame the French.. :)

11. Jason Sheehan

Jason Sheehan Well-Known Member

*prices even

12. floorfixer

Pleased to report that the change in (British manufactured) product has been a good move for us and I don't think we will be returning to products made in the EU. The fact that the company we now use has a Royal seal of approval is also gone down well with our customers.

13. Gavin Fernandes

Gavin Fernandes Member

Brexit has had an impact which unfortunately is passed onto consumers.

14. AngryAndy

Covid-19 and other non Brexit related condition are the main reasons we are seeing price rises. The current shortages are caused by the improving global economy in combination with exports of plastics from Europe to Asia and North America. Logistical problems due to a shortage of containers to Europe also contribute, as does the lower production of plastics in the USA.

15. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Price increases are very much on the horizon, raw material costs are getting silly.

16. Rugmunching

Ply Wood fine up again with my suppliers as well.

Reps telling me about the shortage of raw materials for vinyls now aswell :rolleyes:

17. Rugmunching

Fine = Gone

18. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Be a shortage of air next and you’ll have to pay to breath it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Put a mask on you'll use less.. :rolleyes:

20. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member