Pros/Cons: Victoria Heartland / Vivendi Vibes

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by King90, Jul 18, 2021.

1. King90

King90 New Member

Hi all,

After some research (and a wide range of bad-pleasant visits to showrooms) I've narrowed our carpet choice down to one of:
    • Vivendi Vibes
    • Victoria Heartland
    Do people here have much experience with either (or even better both) of these and can offer any opinions?

FYI I want to fit the same carpet will to stairs, 1st floor landing and probably a couple of bedrooms. I'm not fussed about having a deeper pile in bedrooms.

So far I broadly have:
    • Vivendi Vibes
      • Solution dyed nylon (supposedly more durable or at least less prome to flattening with equal quality underlay?)
      • Very slightly prefer to the touch
      • More expensive, but not out of budget
      • We have AW's Invictus LVT and very happy (not that it means much)
    • Victoria Heartland
      • Polypropylene (as most synthetics?)
      • British made
      • Cheaper, but still looks decent quality
    Lastly, both of the above come in a heavier version (Soul / Heartland Ultra). Would there be any benefits of choosing these instead, or are they more likely to flattening on stairs and other heavy footfall areas?

Apologies for the essay! Any advice/experiences much appreciated.

2. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

I’ve supplied and fitted heartland several times (in fact I have it at home and used it for my in-laws) with no issues. It’s a great carpet for the price, the pile does go flat and tracking is visible in places but not worryingly so.

I’ve had it down 3 years and just had some areas professionally cleaned and it looks like new again.

I don’t know the Vivendi carpet to compare I’m afraid.

If the budget will allow I would always go for the heavier weight as that will resist pile flattening longer and will wear better too.

That said it’s more important to get a good underlay. Better a good underlay and the standard weight carpet.

3. King90

King90 New Member

Thanks for this.

I'm sure we could budget for Heartland Ultra (65 oz I think). I had thought the thicker carpet (11mm vs 15mm) and hence pile would mean that would be more likely to flatten. Is that not really the case? Presumably once it does flatten though it shows a bit more?

Actually I think our chosen supplier did mention the underlay too. Hopefully then they're aware of that and will price and supply something of good quality.

4. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

Longer pile carpets tend to flatten quicker but denser piles will resist more.

Check which underlay as there are a lot on the market. Most will recommend a PU foam (I do) and that’s fine but check it has a good density rating as that is a good indicator of quality. To give you an idea I normally say a 9mm underlay (10mm and higher you should use deep gripper that costs a bit more so generally it’s not worth it in my opinion) and a density of 176kg/m3

5. King90

King90 New Member

Makes sense.

I suppose given they're effectively the same range they're quite comparable (as opposed to a 47oz in one range and 65 oz in another). I'll have to show the other half your advice. She's insistent that the higher pile will wear more.