Putting together high quality fitting teams with top rates to match

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Matt, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

I keep getting asked to put together fitting teams. People where when a large contract comes up in your area that you get the work passed your way.

Im in talks with 2 big names at the moment and a 3rd who is soon to hit the market. We also have manufacturers always asking me "who can do this job in certain areas"

Well i put together the "find a fitter " http://theflooringforum.com/listing.php for you all which we have kept free for maybe 2 years now. In the last 6 months no one has asked to join it !

So whats teh next idea? there is genuine work out there and im getting asked to recommend fitter.

2. Trimmer

Trimmer Well-Known Member

Set up a Ltd Co, take on the jobs, pay the guys and take a cut. You should be able to charge top rates if you're happy with the guys doing the work and make a % for yourself

3. Cre8tiveflooring

Cre8tiveflooring Well-Known Member

That's the best way. Good idea Pete. At least you know the guys you're getting to do the job won't screw it up or walk out and leave it half finished.

Make some money off it if you can Matt.

4. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh Can I be pit on the find a fitter thingy ?

5. Matt

Lets not worry about me and me earning off it ! :)

How do i put a teams together ? Who do i recommend? I have a handful at the moment who have attended floorskills and got accredited, but not enough ?

6. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

I make a good cuppa.. ask cre8tive.. lol

7. Cre8tiveflooring

You do make a lovely cuppa!

8. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

And 140m2 of screed too.. would give that itools station a run for it's money.. lol... OH.. Just realised that's why you don't need it.. lol.lol

9. Cre8tiveflooring

It's got to be people who YOU know you can trust. Could you not have a selected few from certain areas and maybe get them to get a few together?

10. Cre8tiveflooring

Why have a dog ......... Woof!

11. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Don't forget where you got that job.
    And you're my little poodle on that 270m2 bring lots of tea bags..

12. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

When you say large job`s, how large are we talking ?
    I`m probably 75% contract work, with most jobs 1000-2000+ sq m. If i`m asked to price up a large job for a new main contractor, i`m normally pretty sure, i`m not going to win it.
    Most, say they want a perfect delivery, self snagged, but when it comes to cost, they will cut you down at every opportunity.
    I have a good team of guy`s, one of which you know, and im sure we could handle almost any size of job.

Are you saying that if teams attended a course, they could then be put on an 'approved contractor list' and then maybe given an opportunity to tender for this work ?

13. Matt

When i say large, not YOUR kind of large LOL. Should i say " plenty of work rather than large"

Not contract work but more domestic, some large domestic property's and mostly average.
    But there is no reason why we cant put together a contract team also.

14. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

I`d be up for anything contract wise.
    Not domestic though, I hate people !

15. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

I have an idea :rolleyes:

16. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

I'd suggest based on your accredited installers .....that they are say your 'regional management team' and would take on the job you have passed their way, it's then upto them to either do it themselves or manage a team of fitters to do the job correctly and to the standard they as accredited installers and you as the jedi would expect!
    You earn a bit, they earn bit, I earn a bit.....you get me?

17. Trimmer

Trimmer Well-Known Member

Are you talking just lvt or all sorts?

18. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Id maybe go with adams idea, accredited fitters get offered the job as you know their standard is high, then on bigger jobs they may have to bring a few extra pairs of hands in and so it could be upto them who to get in to help, in an ideal world it would either be one of the forum lads or fitters they know and trust, I know for a fact what im like with my jobs I dont let anybody touch them but myself or if I need a hand its only fitters I trust not to balls it up (so a small circle), its not that I have trust issues its just I know full well that the rough/cowboy fitters out number the good by 10 to 1, hence why a poor finish is generally common place whilst a top finish stands out.

19. dannyboy

dannyboy Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more !!!

20. Matt

ummmm..... got me thinking Adam !