Random length board layout tips

Discussion in 'Wood' started by IanC, Oct 16, 2018.

1. IanC

IanC Member

Hi all.

I'm laying some random length engineered Rustic oak in my kitchen, and looking for any tips or critiques on layout before I continue in to the middle of the room as per the pic.

I'm trying to follow the golden rules of mixing up the boxes, avoiding parallel end joins, and fighting hard against my OCD to not overthink and colour match every single board :D

Other than that I'm keeping knots and joins limited in in wet areas and saving the more matted brown ones for a cupboard as they look a little boring, and I'm trying to keep the room light.

Any tips welcome e.g. Best placement of the long boards, tips keeping it looking natural to the eye or any issues I might not have thought of.

Cheers
    Ian

Attached Files:

2. Freeley

Freeley Well-Known Member

It's a personal thing perhaps but I'm not too keen on the short lengths in the middle of rows, i tend to use as many as I can on the ends.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. IanC

IanC Member

Thanks Freeley I'll bare that in mind - I suppose there is a logic there if the middle of the room is less broken up in contrast to the edges it will may feel larger overall.

So far I've been using the long lengths to accentuate longer stretches down the sides of the island but not considered the effect of the smaller pieces in between.

Man I am overthinking this.

4. IanC

IanC Member

Just FYI in case anyone is interested this is part of the result when trying to keep the longer lengths towards the edge of the rooms and for cuts. Honestly I don't think there's much in it and you have to use up the shorter ones at some point anyway.
    The only thing I'd do differently would be to open 3/4 of the boxes in advance to select the very best boards for the middle of the room - there are few naff pieces laid in prominent areas just because I was only opening 3 boxes at a time.

Happy flooring

Attached Files:

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I try use the small ones under furniture as don’t like them in the middle as well.
    What manufacturer was the wood?

6. IanC

IanC Member

V4 VIT102 Rustic oak I think. Unbranded boxed tho

7. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Don’t think V4 sold online anymore. That’s what the rep said anyway lol