Re-laying parquet floor on bitumen

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Ben Ward, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Ben Ward

Ben Ward Active Member

Hi all, haven’t posted for a while as been mainly floor sanding the last couple of years.

Was asked to quote for sanding and refinishing an old parquet floor, but when I did survey I found that a lot of the blocks are loose and need re-laying. Mainly in one area only 1-2m2, so hoping I can just clean them off and re-glue with lecol 5500.

They’ve been laid on bitumen. I’ll assess condition of subfloor when I lift the small area and have told customer the worst case is that the concrete slab may need taking up and re-doing, but hoping to avoid that. If the concrete is sound but bitumen is in poor condition can I just remove loose bitumen then DPM with epoxy (F77 or similar) and screed over that (after priming)? Or would I need to screed/DPM/screed? And how much of the bitumen needs to be removed?

Bit rusty on my subfloor prep.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

3. Ben Ward

Ben Ward Active Member

Thanks for this. Finally went back yesterday to take some blocks up and decide on way forward. Ended up taking up whole floor, customer is going to scrape the blocks and remove bitumen from floor then I’ll go back and do DPM sandwich before relaying and sanding & refinishing.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk