Refurb

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Neilydun, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

I`ve been asked to price up some refurb work. This involves laying a click system 6mm vinyl, over existing stuck down vinyl. There will be a lot of it. The first few which we have priced come out to over 5000 sq. and there are loads more
    One issue is the perimeter expansion. We normally leave 10mm, and the skirts get fitted on top, but thats not going to be an option on these.
    So what to cover the gap with, and how to fix it.
    There is obviously scotia, but I think that looks a bit shit over time. If I do go with scotia, whats the best way of fixing ? I used to fit laminate, years ago, and used a electric brad nailer, but would a Paslode be a better option ?
    Have I overlooked a simple way to cover the expansion gap

2. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

Instead of scotia, we have on occasions added a smaller skirting onto the existing one after fitting the floor. Then cork the joint, fill and sand the nail holes, and paint both pieces of timber after masking the flooring. This gives the effect of one slightly sculptured skirting. We usually ask the customer to get a joiner and a decorator to do this additional work if they hate scotia or don't wish to rip out the skirting.

When we do fit scotia, we hot melt it with a decent gun to avoid nail holes, but you may need two pairs of hands. Then cork the seams.

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I've used quadrant on some fits. It looks alright and was the customers choice.

The rugby club function room I did couple year ago they used architrave o_O but didn't look that bad when it's all corked up. The builders did that...

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

We use a headless Pinner for scotia. You can’t see the fixings. You can pick one up from Axminster for £30 quid. (Air tool)
    CAT do a little flat trim you could fix around the perimeter after it’s fitted. Like a chrome flat bead/L section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

How is the Cat trim fixed ? To the wall, or to a tile ?
    The product were fitting, does move about a bit

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

To the wall. May have to stick it first I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Rugmunching

Seen these and they do look smart.

8. Rugmunching

Sure quickstep do a wood version aswell

9. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

QA products do a decent small trim too which is worth looking at.

10. AngryAndy

AngryAndy Well-Known Member

Flexyfix it