Remove caulking from wood flooring

Discussion in 'Wood' started by steveoelliott, Feb 21, 2022.

1. steveoelliott

steveoelliott Member

Hi Folks,

Unfortunately at some stage somebody has caulked between the skirting and the wood flooring but over time it has broken up as it is hard and inflexible. Please see pictures below...

upload_2022-2-21_17-24-5.jpeg

I have removed a small section already using a thin scraper but it is very time consuming as I have to be so careful not to scratch the wood. I'm scared to use any meths or harsh cleaning solutions through fear of damaging the wood, that said I do have a hidden area I could test suggestions on.

In one area I have managed to mark it; any suggestions what might be used to mask / color it? See below (I have now got rid of the other flecks of caulk):

upload_2022-2-21_17-25-51.jpeg

Finally, should I be looking to seal the gap between the skirting and floor with something else? If so what would be best suitable? I know some folks use scotia but I'm not a fan. Are there some modern / smart looking edging strips?

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

That looks like LVT o_O
    The chaulk is to hide shody cutting in :(

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

The gap is so small I don’t know why anyone would caulk it? You have to put skirting on top of wood and leave a slight gap to allow for any movement. If you look at pretty much every installation in America they all have some sort of beading to avoid that gap. Unfortunately we use a lot of poor quality scotia in this county and the builders don’t allow for a beading when they fix the door architrave so no one likes to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

You could try using some sort of plastic scraper and push it under the skirting to break it off, rather than trying to scrape it sideways, then hoover it out. Kahrs do a touch up bottle for the floor repair, they do an oil and a lacquer, depending on the finish

5. steveoelliott

steveoelliott Member

It is definitely wood; we have LVT upstairs though.

6. steveoelliott

steveoelliott Member

I would never have caulked it. Either left the gap or used some clear silicon.

7. steveoelliott

steveoelliott Member

I'll give that a go. Thanks.

8. alban

alban Well-Known Member