Rippled Kardean install - what to do?!

Discussion in 'FAQ Section For Consumers' started by streatham savvy, Dec 10, 2021.

1. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Oh my word I’ve just managed to see the photos. Did he have a windscreen wiper with him? Complete waste of flooring. Rip it out and start again I’m afraid. It looks like a naff apprentice did that

2. streatham savvy

streatham savvy Member

Is it credible in this situation to re-use planks if they can be easily lifted/cleaned or is that not a pro-approach?

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Unless he forgot to put glue under them

5. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

...thats offensive to any apprentice :eek:

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Haha

7. Rugmunching

Poor levelling work beforehand? As in its not the screed that was put on top? Hahaha pull the other one.

Thats a crap screed, simple as that.
    Needs starting again or atleast that area taking up and redoing once it's be sanded down and patched up

8. streatham savvy

streatham savvy Member

that is worrying…. I had major problems with a dodgy patio job years before where I bought slabs and got a landscaper to install, needless to say didn’t have much re-course .

This time I thought I’d pay the premium and go with a business/one stop shop for assurance. The shop is a reputable business that subs out to a single fitter, so assumed he would be well above shoddy practice.

also kicked up a fuss about the state of floor before we started, on 3 separate occasions delaying the entire project. Builders n site before did all that was asked. The ‘business’ owner never visited the site after the initial quote , despite supposedly providing the guarantee to all works

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Well it’s his shops rep so he better put it right and deal with the fitter. If you’ve had a arrangement with the fitter or may become your problem. Either way you should inform the manufacturer if it’s not resolved. It’s poor workmanship charged out at a high rate off the back of their brand

10. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I imagine it will be the opposite, he probably filled it with glue to smooth it out

11. Yiddo1982

Yiddo1982 Well-Known Member

Looks like he forgot to sweep the floor before he fitted that too. Terrible prep work

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

12. streatham savvy

streatham savvy Member

UPDATE - shop owner came out to have a look said would resolve and sent back fitter.

Fitter then feathered with lightweight latex twice, 2 quick visits and then a third time to lay tiles on the effected area (using the left over tiles)

The result is better, but I can still clearly see the ridge marks through kitchen. Unfortunately the fitter didn’t fix any of the snags we agreed and just left after third visit without any discussion.

Before the remedial work started, they refused to fix another of the effected areas, stating it’s impossible to get a perfect flat finish unless outing a new floor. Not sure in the validity if this comment, particularly as 3 layers went down. Thoughts?

These ridges are still very clear in daylight but not standard kitchen lighting. Using a straight edge, there are still a few ridges/dip by a fair few mm still there visible.

views welcomed on the repaired area, photos attached. Is this good enough or not? My thinking was that it’s not, but would ripping it out and starting again likely provide a better result?

4DBE3563-12CB-4DDC-93B7-D746BAD0E7F6.jpeg IMG_3798.jpg IMG_3808.jpg IMG_3807.jpg IMG_3805.jpg IMG_3804.jpg IMG_3800.jpg IMG_3799.jpg IMG_3797.jpg

13. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Shocking that. Needs about 5 coats of feather. Have you paid ?
    They haven’t used a spike roller on the screed I’d say.

14. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It’s a bit less crap

15. Rugmunching

Still not good enough.

It's not impossible to get that floor looking flatter and smoother but it's proving impossible for them....so what does that tell you?
    By them refusing to fix the other area which is also their bodge work then you need to ditch these amateurs and get someone in who knows how to put a screed down.

Sounds like they won't be wanting to reimburse you so you might have to seek further advice on the legal route because you clearly have a floor that's not what it supposed to be.

16. streatham savvy

streatham savvy Member

Thanks for views so far. In current circumstances how would someone else properly fix?

Would there to sand down/ grind out previous screed ridges and effectively start again?

If that’s the case sounds like would be harder( and working around a brand new kitchen) plus more effort than original job!! Not ideal for anyone.

Shop has already tried distancing itself from fitter, now stating supply only not their problem, on basis of separate payments (paid fitter direct, as per the instruction on the sales order) despite giving the impression of a one stop shop with a guarantee - - having paid a premium, marked up materials , plus dpm (to ensure guarantee)

17. merit

merit Well-Known Member

That’s a joke. Just needs ripping out, light grind flat unless it’s really unlevel and a thick coat of levelling compound to sort it.

18. Rugmunching

Yes more effort as in being careful not to splash your kitchen units....thats about it!
    Most of my jobs are with kitchen in already and it's not a big issue and yes not ideal that you have to have it done again but in some cases these things have to be done if you want things done properly...

If its just that area then it could be taken up again and I'll say it again - 'done properly' but you mentioned another area and I bet we would spit other areas that you shouldn't really have to be left with.

So the shop are now pushing it to the fitter instead of not trying to resolve it for you with the fitter?

Absolute dog pooh outfit and the fact they are trying to use every excuse to steer away from the fact they're crap at screeding

19. Rugmunching

20. humble abode

humble abode Active Member

Gosh that floor with the ripples looks disappointing. Have you managed to sort it yet?