Safety vinyl

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by dc22, Jun 28, 2018.

1. dc22

dc22 Member

Hi guys, I'm new to safety vinyl and seem to be doing a good job at turning a perfectly smooth floor into a bumpy 1 using F44 any ideas where I'm going wrong? There's so much conflicting information out there :(

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

What's your usual procedure from gluing out to finishing?

3. dc22

dc22 Member

Trowel out the adhesive, lay into it while it's still wet then smooth out from the centre with a spreader or similar tool

4. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Should be fine, is it just air bubbles ?
    Have you been back the next day, to see if they have pulled down ?
    If your going into adhesive wet, you really want a cork board to push the air out, and make good transfer with the adhesive.
    Or let it go taki, and drop it in

5. dc22

dc22 Member

Yea I've been back the next day and they look the same, I've heard of people allowing the adhesive to tack completely and then dropping into it, but then f. Ball advise laying into in wet then using a 68kg roller side to side and end to end, but then If you need a roller of that weight surely it'd be easier to go pressure sensitive?

6. Neilydun

I find rollers a waste of time. Cork boards are better.
    You could try double drop, or just let the 44 go taki, and see how you find it.

7. dc22

dc22 Member

Thanks for the info! do you use 44 a lot then? When you say Cork board are you referring to like a decorators Cork board? Sorry for all the questions

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You sure it’s not the subfloor underneath? Needs constant hoovering back of the vinyl and floor and subfloor needs to be perfect. We started using the Uzin 2428 I think it’s called. Use a2 trowel and roll it and wet lay it and nothing shows through and no bubbles. Best I’ve used so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. mickyr2

mickyr2 Active Member

Go through a proper apprenticeship to learn about these things like the rest of us that have

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

10. mickyr2

mickyr2 Active Member

I would never roll 44 it won't take

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

11. Neilydun

Try the Tradediscount shop, and you will see the type I mean. I used 44 for years and found it good adhesive.
    As Merit, we use Uzin 2428 most of the time now, excellent adhesive

12. dc22

dc22 Member

I've had the same problem on ply, but as you mention there I've been using a slightly bigger trowel to an a2 so maybe I'm laying out too much adhesive? As for apprenticeship I've worked in the building industry for the last 19 years and do just about every other trade, vinyl wasn't anything I intended getting involved in but when the so called professional fitters keep letting you down and you've got clients without wetrooms and kitchens for extended periods it doesn't do well for business. I've been to altro itself to do the fitters course but there's only so much they can teach you in the time your there

13. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I don’t like the big notch trowels, I think they put down too much adhesive but you defo need a new a2 not a worn down one. We’ve had to replace large areas of safety flooring where you can see the glue has been troweled out and not rolled. I’ve seen it happen on XL even when it’s wet laid so we always roll adhesive now

14. dc22

dc22 Member

Yea i thought the trowel I was using was a bit big but where I live there's nowhere close that stocks products or materials so you end up using what you can get hold of at the time! What size roller do you use?

15. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Just use a cheap short pile of medium pile roller

16. dc22

dc22 Member

Ah right I see so trowel out roll it, drop in while it's still wet flatten out and job done? And you'd do the same with 44 as you would with the uzin 2428?

17. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I would but I don’t really use 44. Haven’t used it for years

18. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

I always preferred PS for sheet vinyl

19. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I use 2000s for vinyl.
    Don't roll adhesive either, glue out, wait till it's just turning, drop in and roll with my ancient steam roller :cool:

20. dc22

dc22 Member

Ah right so PS aswel? How would you fair with like an upstairs bathroom with PS or would you tend not to use it there? I generally tend to do smaller areas like bathrooms and kitchens. I see the weighted rollers are quite expensive, so not sure they'd be cost effective for what I'm doing as Im only doing a couple floors throughout the year?