Saying hello

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by SKK, Mar 20, 2016.

1. SKK

SKK Member

Found this forum when researching best flooring for slightly incontinent dog! Am pretty competent DIYer looking to replace downstairs carpets with something that won't stain or lift. Currently set on lvp that I can fit myself (money always an issue!). Looking forward to getting some good advice on here. :)

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Have a look at quickstep impressive laminate as it has hydro seal so can withstand liquid spills.

3. SKK

SKK Member

Thanks for that. How good is it with liquids, because if it stayed on the floor overnight we thought it could well cause a problem.

4. RPB

RPB Super Moderator Staff Member

If liquid is staying on some floors over night it "may"cause issues... We have Karndean down, sometimes one of the dogs may have an accident., but as yet, haven't had any problems with the floor.. (Liquids are cleaned up pretty quickly )
    Have you considered sheet vinyl if worried about mishaps?

5. SKK

SKK Member

It's for our living room and dining room, so we want it to look decent as well as be as practical as possible. Our old dog has a habit of scent marking in one area. We could always put a waterproof backed mat down when he's in those rooms unsupervised, then the water wouldn't pool on the floor.

There is so much choice out there - it's a bit mind blowing! Would prefer it to look as wood like as possible (will be using large rugs over the top), be able to fit it ourselves, and spend less than £25 per sq metre. Do you think this is achievable?

6. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

I'd suggest if your going to buy lvt to use a sealer over the floor once you've fitted it, as I'm sure your already aware the actual tile or plank will be water proof but if liquid seeps inbetween the planks it may cause the adhesive to fail at a later date. As darren said quick step impressive would work with hydro seal but than almost any laminate would using the same seal. www.distinctiveflooring.co.uk good luck and hope you find the right floor

7. Profflooring

Profflooring Well-Known Member

Quick step is very good but is slightly expensive. On the market you can find cheaper laminate flooring with good scratch and water resistance for your dog. They are with tiles and stone effect.

8. SKK

SKK Member

It's for living and dining room, so we want a wood effect rather than stone or tile.

9. Profflooring

The problem with normal laminate is if liquid goes to the click and stays longer. The laminate gets damage. You can use special silicone for the click system. If you have LVP is better option, but need high level preparation and skills for installing. Cheap LVP is Deco tile 33. This is with wear lear 0.33 so heavy domestic. I can give you good price on the floor and maybe cheaper then online prices.

10. Distinctive Adam

Buy cheap buy twice !!

11. Profflooring

LG Deco is the leading LVT (luxury vinyl tile) and plank offer in Europe incorporating more than 60 items with 0.7mm, 0.50mmm and 0.3 mm wear layers. Deco is made from the best available materials as a result of which, the products performance is outstanding. Deco comes with an integral Polyurethane surface treatment, and in a wide range of distinctive designs and textures that provide excellent suitability for many commercial sectors.

12. Distinctive Adam

Great, mflor is pure PVC made from only the purists of pvc, more stable than almost any other lvt on the market, we don't make tv's though !! Has more substainability and green peace awards than most others, its not cheap tho, well it is compared to amtico signature which is also pure PVC of the highest quality. When buying recycled lvt materials they have a tendency to off gas and break down as they're made from recycled materials you never really know what they're made from, where pure products are clean and stable. Lg have only recently came back to the uk market, good luck to them.

13. SKK

SKK Member

We don't want anything cheap but we do have a budget to consider! Would I be able to purchase and fit Mflor click myself?

14. DM Flooring

DM Flooring Well-Known Member

Not sure if the Mflor can be bought online but if your going to pay for a decent floor why not have if fitted professionally. I know you've a budget but you'll have piece of mind once it's been fitted.

15. Distinctive Adam

If it's click you want, I'd suggest buying Teckfloor click which is 5mm thick with a .55 wear layer with a beveled edge visit www.ukflooringonline.co.uk £18sq inc vat

16. SKK

SKK Member

Because having it fitted professionally would mean trying to organise several quotes - having just gone through a very painful experience trying to get plumbers round to quote, I'm not sure I want to go through all the hassle and missed appointments! Also one of our rescue dogs is very aggressive with strangers in the house, so getting workmen in is rather complicated. Thanks for the recommendation Distinctive Adam - that seems a very good price so will take a look. :D

17. DM Flooring

DM Flooring Well-Known Member

If one of the lads on here was local I don't think you'd have a problem. Also could you not shut the dog away when you've tradesmen there. Last thing I want is a dog roaming round while trying to fit a floor.

18. Profflooring

Hi. I did click LVT. There are not 100% waterproof. I will not recommend you to use it, because you have a dog and the urine goes trough and smells.:) Your dog will test your new floor. They do it on the new floors I don't know why.

19. SKK

SKK Member

Of course we wouldn't leave the dog roaming around where the floor is being fitted! But dogs would be in the kitchen (downstairs open plan) just contained by a stairgate and he would be barking his head off at the fitter! Not ideal for tradesman, but also I don't want my dog stressed out!

20. Profflooring

I mean different. Don't pick up click LVT if you have a dog. Better if is glued then loose lay or click.