?

Bitumen on concrete floor what should be used?

1. stopgap 300 HD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Arditex NA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stopgap 1200 HD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Screed over bitumen

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Craig Barker, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Craig Barker

Craig Barker New Member

My Amtico floor has lifted after one year, the fitter can back and said there was damp. the property is 200 years old and i find it hard to believe damp only occurred in the last year, the sub floor looks the same to me as it did when the floor was fitted.

he said he used Ball 300 (I Think he means Ball Stopgap 300) but it is over bitumen on concrete, is this the right think to use????

also there was newspaper stuck to the bitumen which he did not take up, he said when he came back it was ok because he primed it.

does anyone have any experience of this type of floor, please advice

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Lol, sounds like a right bodge! If there's bitumen and the house is that old it probably is damp, it's just taken a long time to effect the floor. Not the correct subfloor prep if it is damp anyway. Should of tested before it was fitted, its simple and quick to test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh my god :eek:

Im surprised the floors lasted that long 300 will fail over bitumen everytime.
    It's a complete lack of knowledge on your floorlayers part or possibly just a carpet fitter trying his luck. 300 dries very hard Bitumen is soft so not compatible.

If the property is 200 years old it won't have a DPM under the concrete slab so its sitting direct on the earth below and moisture levels in the concrete will change with the seasons.

What he should have done (obviously remove the newpaper) First a coat of Ardex NA over the bitumen (No primer) Then a coat of Ardex 1c Liquid DPM then ardex P4 primer and another coat of NA over the top

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Craig Barker

Craig Barker New Member

Thanks for the info much apriciated

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Did you sort things out Craig