Screeding problem, help please!

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Surya, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Surya

Surya Member

I need some advice about issues I am having with a flooring contractor. I’m a small business start up and I’m leasing an office. It had horrible carpet which I was going to replace with hard floor. I agreed with a contractor that the carpet was going to be removed and have screed put on floor as it is quite an uneven surface due to being an older building.
    I checked the site and although carpet has been removed, it looked like they’ve screed on top of adhesive residue and some carpet leftovers! I am not a builder nor know anything much about flooring procedure but this just looks like shoddy work! Can this be fixed and finished better? Have I been screwed over? Any advice helpful!

Attached Files:

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Last time I seen something like this was from an apprentice practising on his own where we left him all day back in 2001 and clearly missed the part where we said remove all the carpet foam and adhesive before screeding o_O

3. Rugmunching

If you are fixing laminate over it then you would get away with sanding it down flat with a machine and then the underlay > laminate

4. Surya

Surya Member

I was going to put cork planks. They’ve come back to me with this reply;

Don’t worry this is not the finish it’s a process to get the carpet off.

The screed will dry and absorb the fibres which will go rock hard and then be grinded off ready fo be screeded again to achieve a smooth finish once you have chosen your floor covering.”

5. Surya

Surya Member

I just have a sinking feeling about this. Do I cut my losses now and get someone else to sort this out or shall I hold them to account and get this subfloor sorted?

6. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

All needs ripping up, concrete needs grinding or scabbling to remove the residue and carpet, moisture test then decide on prep needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Surya

Surya Member

Do I need this redone by someone else? It just seems like my current contractor isn’t as reliable as he promised to be!

8. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Did you get a invoice / quote off him. What does it say?
    have you paid ?
    That should of all had a grind then the smoothing compound put down at 3-5mm

now it needs a grind and another coat.

9. Surya

Surya Member

See attached the quotation. I’ve paid half.

Attached Files:

10. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Well they haven’t done that yet. So let them get it smooth then pay if it is.

11. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Cheap price as well. I’d be £1500

12. Rugmunching

He's found that the carpet hasn't flew up like he imagined it would, couldn't be arsed the take the whole lot up and decided to throw a load of screed on it then sand it down.
    The firm I used to work with over 20yrs ago used to do this quite alot for a contract with the housing.

It's not the right way of doing it and he clearly hasn't done what's on his quote but I have seen it done but had cheap laminate stuck on top of it.

He obviously doesn't know what type flooring you are having judging by the quote so if he thinks he can sand that down ready for LVT for example then he aint got a clue :rolleyes:

13. Surya

Surya Member

Argh. What a nightmare! What is your advice for me to go forward? Just cut my losses now and get this sorted by someone else at extra cost? In terms of fixing this mess, what’s the next step to sort it out? Scrape the whole thing off and start again? I’m so gutted!

14. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It’s bloody lazy. If the cork planks are floated and not bonded he might get away with it. Sand down and put another coat of smoothing compound to get it flat. Hopefully he’s taken a moisture test. If it’s a stick down product I would ask for some sort of guarantee from him
    As you won’t get one from any manufacturers with prep like that

15. Surya

Surya Member

His argument was that this was “part of the process” because the adhesive was stuck to the ground. He said he had to put the screed so the fibers stick to it and then it will be grinded smooth.
    I thought what a waste of material!! He should’ve grinded it before!

16. Rugmunching

£950 for a 140m2 screed is bargain least :D

17. Rugmunching

Let's see what his final coat is like o_O

18. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Lol yeah. I’m not sure who’s getting shafted worse here

19. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Last time I see a screed like that was when I did my dads office. Lifted the old carpet tiles and it literally looked like that. I couldn’t believe it. It’s as if they had said don’t bother sweeping up, we re just latex over it

20. Surya

Surya Member

Any suggestions how to go forward ?