Second opinion please?

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Simon Grimley, May 10, 2020.

1. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I’d like a second opinion as I think I know the answer but I’ve been asked to help out the in laws and I always find I doubt myself when it comes to family!

They have an old house and the floorboards have some large gaps. Bigger than I’d be happy just running underlay and carpet over. However they are only doing it up to sell in a few years time.

I’ve suggested filling the gaps with a wood filler as they don’t want to spend out on a carpenter or ply boarding the whole floor. My father in law has found the below product. Wickes have it at £28 per 10m2 so a lot cheaper than ply. I don’t think it will do the job but what do you think?

https://arbiton.com/wp-content/uplo...uastop-Smart_TDS_06-2019_210x297mm_prev-1.pdf

2. Simon Grimley

To add. I kinda feel if we’re going this route might hardboard would be better I just hate using it as it’s so unstable...

3. Nick58

Nick58 Well-Known Member

How about using the green fibre boards from wickes?
    Nice and cheap and will be fine underneath u/lay.

You will just have to use longer pins in tge gripper.

Done this a few times as im not s lover of h/board

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

That will just crush to the shape I would of thought. Hardboards the cheapest option. Will be fine under carpet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Simon Grimley

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I want being too stuck in my ways ;)

6. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

How big are the gaps? You could try Fball prime an fill or Uzin PE630

7. Simon Grimley

I haven’t seen it in person but it looked big enough now video chat to park a bus in so not sure that would work mate :confused: Will have to go have a look when it’s safe.

8. Dave Clarke

Dave Clarke New Member

The problem I found with using hardboard as a subfloor under carpet, if it gets wet it absorbs the moisture and expands. Once it is laid and ring nailed at 6 inch centers and gets wet or even damp due to a leak round a pipe or whatever the sheets will warp and buckle, you got to rip them up and replace. Years ago it was possible to buy pre-soaked hardboard from builders merchants it cost a little more but it was more stable and didn't warp. My boss at the time was to tight to pay the extra and used to get me lay the sheets out flat in the yard on a sunny day and wet them with a bucket and mop.

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You can still get treated hardboard. It’s dark brown instead of the yellow stuff. Most decent wholesalers will supply it. Still prefer 4mm ply as a minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

4mm ply is best probably not that much more than hardboard

11. Simon Grimley

Thanks guys. Will probably go take a look at it and see how bad it all is. Can then make a better decision but suspect I’ll end up using 4mm ply.