Sound proof glue down flooring

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Adz, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Adz

Adz New Member

Hello everyone
    As the title suggests, what options are there for soundproofing a glue down floor?
    Moving away from carpet can I expect the sound passing between floors to increase even with the lvt?
    This example is an old tenement building where ply will be fixed over floorboards and then 2.5mm lvt glued down.
    Has anyone any experience or input into introducing a layer sandwiched between the floorboards and the sub floor?
    A layer of mass loaded vinyl or a sound rated underlay or rubbercrumb or even a dense material such as roofing felt?! , then sealed with an acoustic sealant, to add mass to the floor. The ply would still be screwed through this and the surface glued down.
    For those who have suffered in close living proximity there is scant information available.
    Would a bitumin based felt introduce damp issues being waterproof as it's density would certainly contribute to airborne sound suppression.
    Has anyone successfully done similar

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Look at regupol multi

3. Adz

Adz New Member

Lovely, thanks for that! Plenty to investigate there too, not least jumpax!
    Appreciate the lead

4. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

For true sound proofing you need to add a lot of density by creating a false floor and filling it with tons of insulation, making sure the floor doesn’t come into contact with the walls (that will transfer vibrations and noise) nothing else will truly work and it’s really expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Adz

Adz New Member

Yes, yes it is isn't it.
    I get woken up by my upstairs neighbour and their poor floor (ancient thin carpet tiles and loose floorboards) and honestly would be horrified if I was transferring as much sound down as they are. I guess lvt on solid base would be better then that but probably my only option is dense underlay and carpet and save the lvt for the kitchen and corridors only.
    The appeal of a hard floor surface is real but I couldn't live with an increase in unwanted noise.
    Thanks for your help!

6. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Softlay fleece 19db

7. tarkett85

These db’s are only higher and mid frequencies your bass frequencies need tons of material and a complete decoupling from the frame of the house, people need to be realistic and understand what’s actually required for sound proofing not just acoustic treatment.

8. tgflooring

tgflooring Active Member

Acoustilay is very good. Comes in 3 different gauges, up to 15mm. I think you can fit any type off floor over it. We fitted carpet and straight stick vinyl to it and it worked a treat.

9. Distinctive Adam

The question is sound proofing for a glue down lvt so I’m assuming the question relates to reflective walking sound and not air bourne - your right though there’s a lot more to it as walls would need doing too etc depending on what’s required.

10. tarkett85

It’s a whole trade on its own but I do think we have to drill it home that all we’re really doing is acoustic treatment and not sound proofing, they will still hear their neighbours and you will still hear castor chairs moving around upstairs.

11. Distinctive Adam

100%

12. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

Insterlay