Soundproofing LVT in converted flat - any advice?

Discussion in 'FAQ Section For Consumers' started by BenP, Jan 23, 2019.

1. BenP

BenP New Member

Hi, I'm looking to install Amtico or Karndean in my flat, and I'm concerned about soundproofing for the flat below me.

The flat is in an old converted Victorian house in London and so there's not a lot of soundproofing without extra products in the flooring.

There's currently carpet, underlay and ply on top of the floorboards. I don't want to make the noise situation worse when I go to LVT because I might need to rip it up if there's a noise complaint.

I've spoken to a couple of installers and I was considering Jumpax with the 'acoustic' version of LVT (such as Amtico Acoustic). Does this sound like a good idea? I know it won't be as good as carpet but it just needs to be 'good enough'.

Another problem was the installer said that Jumpax expands if it gets wet and lifts the LVT up. Is this a real problem? For example if a radiator or kitchen pipe leaks.

Does anyone have any other advice or ideas to help me out?

Thanks
    Ben

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

If you have a radiator leak your floor will be damaged and your sound proofing anyway. You could install sound proofing board from selecta then ply or acoustalay matting then jumpax over that. Floating floors are better for soundproofing. It’s all expensive stuff tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Softlay and Regpol have sound reduction properties.
    Depends how much sound transfer there is, and how much your neighbors mind it really.

4. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Regupol glued down Then Karndean looselay glued down

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Plywood
    Regupol mutli
    LVT

6. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Softlay has 19db

7. BenP

BenP New Member

Great advice, thanks a lot.

Can anyone recommend an installer in north London who knows their stuff to help me out with this project?

8. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Whereabouts ?
    I'm in nw6, n3 and n10 tomorrow

9. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Road whore :D