SPC Herringbone

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Mleachman, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Mleachman

Mleachman New Member

Hi all,

I am fitting some Herringbone SPC flooring in the downstairs of my house. I have fit lots of laminate flooring in the past, but this is the first time using SPC. At the time of buy the floor, I thought that I was buying LVT flooring which I understand can be cut with a Stanley knife, but now i understand that SPC is a bit different to LVT.

I just wanted some advice on the best way to cut SPC. I was going to use a Wolfcraft LC 600 laminate cutter, but I wasn’t sure if this would work on the planks. Also, I will be doing a curve cut around the bottom of my stairs, any advice on how I would tackle curved cuts?

I’ve never fit flooring in Herringbone style before, but my plan is to find the centre of the room, and then measure out to additional lines 27mm either side of that and use them as my guides for the A and B tiles. I am going to use a square tile to keep angles correct.

Any other advice you think I should consider is greatly appreciated

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Good luck :rolleyes:

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got biiiiiiiiig danglies :D

4. Mleachman

Mleachman New Member

Started it this morning and so far so good. For some reason it really hurts my elbows when clicking it in.

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Try using your hands to clic it in instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Hello,

Congratulations on your decision to install Herringbone SPC flooring in your home! SPC (Stone Plastic Composite) flooring indeed differs from LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tile) and requires specific tools and techniques for cutting and installation.

The Wolfcraft LC 600 laminate cutter might not be the ideal tool for cutting SPC planks due to its enhanced durability. Instead, a fine-toothed handsaw or a power saw equipped with a fine-toothed blade can work well for precise cuts on SPC flooring. It's important to ensure the blade is appropriate for cutting through rigid materials like SPC.

For curved cuts, a jigsaw or coping saw could be effective. Mark the curve carefully on the plank, then use the saw to gradually cut along the marked line, ensuring smooth and accurate results.

Your plan for laying out the Herringbone style by finding the center of the room and measuring out to create guidelines sounds excellent. Using a square tile as a guide for angles is a smart approach to maintain accuracy during installation.

A few additional tips:

1. Subfloor Preparation: Ensure your subfloor is clean, level, and dry before laying the SPC flooring to ensure a smooth and stable base.
    2. Expansion Gaps: Leave appropriate expansion gaps around the perimeter of the room to accommodate any potential movement of the flooring.
    3. Dry Run: Consider doing a dry run of the installation without adhesive to familiarize yourself with the layout and cutting techniques before securing the planks.
    Remember to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations specific to your SPC flooring for the best results. Best of luck with your installation, and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

7. Ryanf4888

Ryanf4888 Well-Known Member

I’d imagine it’s fitted by now considering the post was in January 2022.