Spongey and crackle on engineered floor

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Stuee1202, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Stuee1202

Stuee1202 Member

Hi Folks,

I have installed lots of floors over the years (not a pro but quite experienced).

I am currently having horrendous problems with an engineered floor I installed around 6 months ago. It is Panaget's Diva clic 139 and it has been absolutely fine up until recently, but it has now started creaking, is spongey underfoot and it is like walking over a bag of crisps and become really bad. It is installed in 2 rooms (kitchen and living room) and prior to installing, both subfloors had a lot of time spent on them and were levelled billiard table fashion, with ply in the livingroom and 18mm caberboard in the kitchen.

The kitchen is open plan, approx 8m x 4m with a utility off to one side and it all has the same subfloor. The utility is laid over with Quckstep laminate, and 1/3rd of the kitchen where the units & island are, is laid over with LVT click with built in underlay. Both these floors are absolutely rock solid and no movement, squeaks whatsoever. There's no moisture issues at all - had it metered, checked etc.

I've ruled out the underlay because it is vitrex premier 5mm in the livingroom and hd polyolefin foam & film underlay with vapour barrier in the kitchen. It is the wood in both rooms behaving in the same way.

There is ample expamsion gaps with 20mm on all sides as the boards went under the skirting. I have since lifted the skirting to see if there was a pinch but it was absultely fine. With the skirting off for the past week, the floor is still moving quite a bit.

The only thing that has changed recently is that we are now in summer and bec ause our house is very well insulated so it can get quite hot inside. What I have definitely noticed is that when the sun hits the wood floor it can really amplify the movement and the floor is crunching like mad when walked over.

Any ideas or help as to what to do is greatly appreciated.

TIA

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Is it t and g that’s pva glued or clic without any adhesive?

3. Stuee1202

Stuee1202 Member

clic with no adhesive. It's 12mm, recommended as a floating fit, but the data sheet allows for a glue down. Can't post the link yet.

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

We’ve always glued down panaget. I find all the clic systems creak and move. 12mm is very thin for floating engineered wood.

5. Stuee1202

Stuee1202 Member

What would you suggest? Obviously, it can't be glued onto the caber p5 floor, so is this a case of 3mm ply over the p5 then glued down over the ply? Are you glueing the clic joints as well? I'm presuming there will still be some movement with a glued floor and there will b e creak in the dry joints?

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yes we would ply and stick to that. Shouldn’t need to pva join unless your subfloor is very unstable.

7. Stuee1202

Stuee1202 Member

Thought I'd update this.

It seems that Panaget is prone to creaking and being crackly. In the retailers showroom, a couple I met said they had the exact same problem. It's installed in an area of the showroom and it is definitely crackly as hell but the section of another type is rock solid. When I pointed this out to the retailer, he couldn't explain it. Their fitter came to see me and admitted that the wide board (184mm) is prone to being crackly. We have the 12mm click 184mm verison and he said it has a "loose" click system that has bit more movement than systems like quick-step, and it isn't best suited to our climate. He said he would recommend the 14mm T&G but they have occasional problems with this being crackly and to fix it, they nail or glue it down.

Anyway, i's being removed as its too much to put up with.