Squeaking/Creaking Herringbone Flooring

Discussion in 'Wood' started by snew, Dec 22, 2022.

1. snew

snew New Member

I laid some engineered wood flooring (herringbone 150 x 600 x 14/3mm click) in 2 rooms a year ago. One room is mostly fine but the other has some obnoxious squeaks in quite a few places and i'm toying with the idea of pulling it up and starting again.

Holding my hands up - these were my first flooring jobs, all self-taught from youtube etc so i've likely made some mistakes, however I couldn't afford the prices quoted by professionals so it was a necessity.

It's a 2nd floor flat so the subfloor is concrete. It had to be installed as a floating floor due to leaseholder terms. It has a 5mm underlay with a DPM.

I left an expansion gap of 10mm round the whole room, however the walls are far from squared so at some points this was more or less. Should I have scribed the edge planks to the wall?

In the problem room I have a large Ikea wardrobe that I didn't want to dismantle and so I put it on furniture moving dollies and moved it onto the completed rows (once I had enough) in order to finish the room. This would've put significant weight on the planks while I was still completing the rows - was that a silly mistake?

When I laid the planks in the first room everything seemed to go to plan - the planks clicked into place flush with each other, and I completed the room in one go. Once I got round to the 2nd room, I encountered problems along the way with some planks not clicking flush with each other, gaps started appearing and got worse the further I progressed into the room. Is it possible the some planks were just faulty? Should I have set those aside?

Because of the gaps appearing I mallet'd some planks quite a bit in an attempt to close them. Could this have exacerbated some of the squeaking?