Steel post foundation and engineered wood floor

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Brombeer, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Brombeer

Brombeer Member

Separate to the contradictory flooring contractor recommendations I've got another question:

We've had a steel beam put in, also including a steel post at one end. As per structural engineer's recommendations, this post is sat on a newly poured 600x600x600mm concrete footing so going by the rule of thumb for concrete drying time that's a 600 day wait before we can put a wood floor in, which is far from ideal. To circumvent this, can I apply some form of surface treatment to just this area? Or as the screed top layer is yet to be done, do I put down an actual physical membrane between the foundation footing and the top layer or is there some other solution?

Bit of background, it's a 50's semi near the coast in the SW, no DPM in the floor. The plan (ambition?) is to ultimately lay an engineered wood floor either on a SLC/DPM/SLC sandwich or on an underlay with built-in DPM.

PS hope it's OK starting a new thread on this, it's quite separate from the other query (not allowed to add in link as I've not yet got 10 posts) and I figured giving it it's own thread makes it easier for others to use as a source of info in the future

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Won’t there be insulation and a dpm put down before the top screed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Brombeer

Brombeer Member

No insulation as that would compromise the structural aspect of the post.

Regarding DPM, that's what I'm hoping to get some advice on. We could put a bit of DPM just on the foundation before the top screed, but would that make much of a difference if there's no DPM around it?