Struggling

Discussion in 'Apprenticeships' started by BrizzleJordan, Mar 7, 2013.

1. BrizzleJordan

BrizzleJordan Active Member

Hi guys,

I am really finding it difficult to get into the flooring trade. Nobody seems to be taking on apprentices in my area as it seems nobody has the patience or funds to pay an apprentice. The fact is I don't care about the pay in all honesty, all I ask for is good training and help in becoming the best I can in this particular industry.

I'm 19 and live in Bristol and I am beginning to get concerned that if I don't find anything soon i'll never find something as i'll be too old at 20 as people don't look at someone of that age as an 'apprentice'.

I have spent a few thousand pounds on tools as I currently work in Maintenance but I have seen my future in Flooring for a long time now but am getting frustrated at my lack of progress in finding a career start.

I appreciate any help you lot can give me.

Regards.

2. steve

steve Well-Known Member

What happened to the firm that was going to give you some weekend work?

3. BrizzleJordan

He's injured his back and is taking a while off work. He also isn't the type to 'train'

It was quite frustrating.

4. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Where have you tried?

5. BrizzleJordan

I've asked local companies but I personally don't know many guys in the trade. I've gone through yell.com and sent out various emails but no positive responses.

I'm not someone to give up as this is what I'm hungry for but I don't know what other ways there is to find the work?

6. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Have you tried some personal visits?
    Theres plenty of independents in Bristol, may be worth spending a Saturday visiting as many as you can, explain what you're trying to do and leave your details with them. I know it's tough, i tend to get 2/3 texts or letters a year from young lads asking for a job, It's not something I could offer, but I personally would be impressed if someone approached me directly, body language and personality offer a lot more than an e-mail.

7. BrizzleJordan

I agree that direct approach would be more impressive. I don't know where any places are though hence why I have to contact floor fitters via email or website enquiry.

If someone could offer me work on evenings (after 5pm) and weekends then i'd happily work for them for free as i'd be able to keep my current job to keep myself having some income. I would be chuffed to bits if I was put onto a NVQ whilst working with a good honest floor fitter that could teach me alot.

I envy all of you lot ha! Would love to be in your shoes if i'm honest.

8. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

you cant do a NVQ until you can fully install on your own and this will take a few years.

The quickest way to a NVQ would be the apprenticeship route and that is only possible due to the amount of training you will get. But still your looking at a MINIMUM of 18 months on the tools with intense training at a training centre, it is not a guaranteed pass for a nvq either. You will have to prove yourself still !

I can sort you out funding and training at the training centre. However you need to be employed before we would take you on. But maybe you can use that to gain a job? You now have the option to approach local firms and say " i have a place on a college apprenticeship ready to go if you was to employ me"

Might help?

9. oddbod_jnr

oddbod_jnr Well-Known Member

Good luck hope you find someone. If you do contact matt onthe forum about a funded appren .my son is doing his via floorskills and its not costing me a penny soyou could use that in your approach .

10. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Wish one of mine would, I've got 3 and none of them want to!

11. BrizzleJordan

I am aware of that, I meant on a training course that leads to an NVQ. 18 months+ isn't really a worry as i'm still only 19 and if it took me until I was 22/23 to become a professional that would be very good.

I would love to train at your training centre, I will try speak to people and mention to them I have a place on a college apprenticeship that's ready to go if you can offer me the on-site work.

Thanks for that Matt, I will let you know sometime next week when hopefully i've had some responses.

12. steve

steve Well-Known Member

What area of Bristol do you live?

13. BrizzleJordan

Thanks. How is he getting on?

14. BrizzleJordan

BS5 (Redfield/St George)

15. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Cyril Dark, Merlin Carpets, Kingsway Carpets, May be worth putting a note in Carpet and Flooring,(St Annes Rd) Loads of fitters go in there.

16. BrizzleJordan

They are soley carpet fitters though aren't they? I'd like to get experience in wooden flooring mainly.

Cyril Dark & sons have my CV from a while back. Would you say it's better to try get work with a firm or a self-employed fitter?

17. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Ok, wooden flooring was 3rd on your original post, don't know any wooden flooring installers, you would be better off with a firm, but may be harder to get.

18. BrizzleJordan

Thanks for your advice.

I will look towards more local firms as my priority instead of self-employed fitters.

19. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

We do wood apprenticeship as well. Our wood apprenticeship is the ONLY reconised / official wood apprenticeship in the u.k. (thought i would get that bit in ;) )

Funding is available but a bit more complicated as its a brand new qualification. We can still sort but a employer is again needed.

20. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

or you could set up on your own as a plc and hire yourself as a director get yourself a fitter and go with him on work, would that work Matt?