Subfloor for Double-stick Carpet Fitting

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Liam M, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Liam M

Liam M New Member

Hello there all,

Can I start by saying a huge thank you for even taking the time to read this - any advice/help is seriously much appreciated!

I have recently bought 3 natural fibre carpets (2 sisal and 1 jute) and Duralay System 10 for the underlay. Our flat is Victorian and has wooden floorboards as the subfloor. The first carpet fitter to offer a quote has suggested that the floorboards should have a hardboard overlay prior to double-stick fitting - which almost triples the fitting cost. While I am resigned to accepting this if it is truly necessary I wanted to double check first. I gather from alternative sisal carpet sites that the Duralay can be stapled onto floorboards. My own layman thinking is that a combination of Syccobond F40, staples and blind grippers would be sufficient. ? The rooms are 3.5m x 2.3m, 4.3m x 3.6m and 5.4m x 3.7m so not a commercial scale.

On the point of grippers. I gather that blind or short-pin are recommended. Any advice on either or whether these are totally needed.

Many thanks.

Liam

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Should be plywood Not hardboard imo. Yeah it’s costs more but better to glue to

3. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Ply and dual stick the flooring no staples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk