Swiss Krono Herringbone Cracklings

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Davie Dee, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Davie Dee

Davie Dee New Member

1. Hi, has anyone ever had any issues regarding Swiss Krono Herringbone laminate? Cracklings after installation. Looking for any information mainly on their “Chinon Oak” Krono Swiss…… but anything regarding any of their herringbone “Krono Tec” etc… would be greatly appreciated

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

What underlay did you use?

3. Davie Dee

Davie Dee New Member

In regards to the Chinon Oak, there’s 3 jobs all carried out last summer and all 3 had different underlays. 1 with duralay timbermate, 1 with polyurethane and 1 with XPS

4. PaddyApples

PaddyApples Member

Yes I've layed a whole house of this stuff. And I'm hearing that it's starting to creak a bit . Any ideas ?

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

One of the reasons we don’t sell it. To many joints and will move if the subfloor is flat

6. PaddyApples

PaddyApples Member

Isn't flat ?

7. PaddyApples

PaddyApples Member

Any ideas guy on this crackling problem would be greatly appreciated

8. mac the knife

mac the knife Active Member

Had a similar problem with Chateaux herringbone laminate. Found out Berry floor had changed the fitting instruction to glue all the headers, where as when it was first launched no mention of this in the instructions.

9. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Could be a multitude of reasons some examples may be the joints weren’t waxed properly, something under the floor, expanded and touched walls, too much humidity causing it to creak etc, you need someone to look at it properly I always advise against a floated herringbone floor and would always want it bonded to the subfloor it removes many problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Kikix___

Kikix___ New Member

Hi. I’m in the middle of installing 90 sqm of Kronotex Herringbone Toulouse Oak Laminate Flooring” 8mm to my entire downstairs which is around 80 sqm. My builder has called me to say he doesn’t want to fit anymore until I see the floor as it’s very creaky and squeaky, and its over the entire floor.
    I went to see it today and it is horrendous. I can post a video if it’s helpful, but the entire floor he’s laid so far is ridiculously creaky. It’s constant and not specific to one area. There is a gap around the perimeter of the room and the subfloor is brand new extension screed and perfectly level. The underlay he’s used is sonic gold 5mm. He went out and bought some green fibre board today he said and put together a small area separately in our living room to see if a different underlay helped the situation, but it didn’t. It’s still exactly the same. It is absolutely a fault with the floor. He’s spent an entire day laying it which has been a complete waste of his time as I obviously can’t pay him for this? My question is, why would this product be allowed to be sold? It’s inferior and not fit for purpose surely? I asked him if he thinks it will “settle” and he said he doesn’t want to lie to me and that he doesn’t think the sound will ever go away. I really don’t know where to go from here? Will I be able to get a refund considering 25 boxes have been opened?
    I asked him if he can lay lvt herringbone instead and he said he would only lay it on my floor if he prepped it first with 6mm ply over the original wooden flooring ( the existing floor) and self levelling compound over both the existing and new extension screed. He’s give me a price and i really can’t afford to pay for that level of prep on top of the floor and his labour so does this mean lvt is a complete no go? My existing wooden floor is not perfectly level and has humps, the brand new extension part is perfectly level though. Any help is appreciated going forward :(

11. PaddyApples

PaddyApples Member

Swiss krono have to be contacted and this need s to be taken off the market asap . They should replace floor aswell with a suitable floor and repay the fitting costs . That's the simple answer here .

12. Kikix___

Kikix___ New Member

I agree and I contacted both Swiss krono and the flooring company that sold me this floor.
    The seller is basically implying it’s a problem with the installation. That not enough of an expansion gap is in place or the subfloor is not perfectly level or it’s a problem with my underlay.
    This is all completely false and I have pictures I can upload to prove it.
    There is a gap around the perimeter of the room, I’ve had a level over the entire screed previous to this and it is perfectly level.
    The gold foil underlay is high quality and suitable for laminate.
    My floor fitter says he thinks it’s where the short end doesn’t lock into place and that’s where the problem is. It really shouldn’t be on the market. I understand it was cheap at £20 per m but that doesn’t mean it should snap crackle and pop everyone someone walks over it.

13. PaddyApples

PaddyApples Member

Hes right 100% it's called a drop lock . And its were the issue is crackling. I'm at a loss to wat else to say unfortunately

14. PaddyApples

PaddyApples Member

Well there's alot of people not happy with the exact floor so it has to be manufacturing Issue

15. ross172

ross172 New Member

Hi I have just had the same flooring installed and notice it creaks and cracks everywhere ☹️

did anything get resolved from this???

how they are aloud to sell this product is a joke.

thanks ross

16. Kikix___

Kikix___ New Member

17. Kikix___

Kikix___ New Member

Check your dms!

18. merit

merit Well-Known Member

This is what we have to deal with. A lot of shoddy manufacturers in flooring. It’s a bit Wild West