Tender leads

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Neilydun, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Ive been contacted, by a company that will provide leads for tenders.
    Our business has seen some major changes recently, and although we have managed to keep reasonably busy, a lot has been subbing, rather than our usual supply & install.

Has anyone used these type of companies, and if so have they been successful ?

2. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

My view on these are waste of time, run around for jobs that you're probably not going to get due to price, it'll cost you in time and money. Only person that wins will be that company and the customer.

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Not a massive fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

You could end spending a lot of money with no guarantee of getting any of the jobs ,if they are offering it you, how many other companies do they have on their books that will have to compete against. You could try looking at planning applications for extensions etc.then do a leaflet drop on that street ,costs next to nothing, yes they are smaller jobs, but there are more of them.

5. Neilydun

Mmm ok pretty much what I thought.
    They 'say' they only send the tenders to 2 companies, and we are competitive on price, but not always the cheapest.
    I have always found it better to build up a relationship with clients, but I am struggling a bit with new contacts.

Paul, we don`t really get involved in domestic work, were looking at small to medium contracts up to around 100k ideally

Thanks for the replys

6. alban

alban Well-Known Member

I have heard of a company like this years back . The tender leads were unsecured so the flooring for example was part of a larger package which a main contractor would include in his price .
    If that main contractor was successful he would obviously have his own preferred contractor who he could use your price to squeeze.

Many larger companies are moving toward their subcontractors being approved with accreditation .

I would be doutful but good luck .

7. Neilydun

Well, I have seen a demo of the system, which was live, and the jobs are secured by the MC, but as you say, nothing to stop him using our price, against his preferred contractor to drive price down etc etc

We are approved for a few companies, and have been through there vetting system, I just wanted to widen this a little.

Think I will give it a miss

8. Glenn H

Glenn H Well-Known Member

Don't place yourself on trying to be the cheapest. A lot of the time they ignore the cheapest as they think quality is compromised and inferior products are used as an alternative.

You can get bogged down with a ton of paperwork, seeking products then ringing several companies to gain the best price.

Maybe try and seek tenders personally without using the company trying to flog them to you, price accordingly so the job is worth doing and don't under price things attempting to get a foot in the door. Make it worth your whike to take the project, ensure you deliver a quality job and let that speak for itself.

9. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure local councils have lists of tenders on there websites so do place like universities leisure complexes ect. Or if you contact direct I'm sure they'd send you info or point you in the right direction

Best of luck mate

10. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I knew a commercial contractor that got quite a bit of work through something i think was called linked in, it's not the kind of work i want ,so never really looked into it ,.i don't know if that's something you've already done ,if not, it might be worth a look, someone else on here might know more about what it is

11. Neilydun

We defiantly don`t under-price our work. No-one enjoys knocking there bollox out for nothing.
    We are winning tenders, so im fairly confident our prices are about right, its just about generating those leads.
    All my best clients, have been through a personal introduction, and once I have met them on site, we nearly always win the work.
    Its just that foot in the door scenario.
    Thanks for the reply Glenn

12. Neilydun

Its something I have tried. If you want to work direct for local authorities, you need to be part of Constructionline. Another one of those bodies who are happy to take your money, and really know nothing about the job.
    If you can get in under a M/C who is part of Constructionline, then you work under the remit, so that works.

Its a good shout though, as we have some massive uni`s close to us, and hospitals too

13. Neilydun

Its something I have tried. If you want to work direct for local authorities, you need to be part of Constructionline. Another one of those bodies who are happy to take your money, and really know nothing about the job.
    If you can get in under a M/C who is part of Constructionline, then you work under the remit, so that works.

Its a good shout though, as we have some massive uni`s close to us, and hospitals too

14. Neilydun

Im on LinkedIn. Bit of a weird one, really. I have made a few new contacts from it, but no work, as yet.
    Always worth a look though, cheers

15. Glenn H

Glenn H Well-Known Member

Nothing ventured nothing gained Neil, hope you secure some decent projects in the near future. Failing that.. brown envelopes stuffed with cash and handed to the right people tends to be the way how things move in your favour nowadays.

16. alban

alban Well-Known Member

Unfortunately construction line and other accreditation is a prerequisite especially in commercial works , Surveyors have a score matrix before it even gets to price . Being fully compliant when approaching a new company is what they look for .
    Your right a personal introduction is great ,you obviously have a good portfolio of work and just need that 15min face to face.
    Thanks

17. Neilydun

So, your obviously pretty clued up on whats required.
    If we were to go through the process, is there one 'body' which you would recommend ?
    A guy I know went for Chas, and did get it, but it was hard work, and in all honesty, I can`t think of a company which would deserve it less than his.
    His H&S is beyond a joke.

18. merit

merit Well-Known Member

We went on something called exor for a year and got nothing out of it. You would be better off banging on someone’s door and asking what have I got to do to get work. We did a job for Hampshire council and they asked us to join the list of accredited contractors. Had to up the insurance to 10 million and fill in so much paper work it was stacked up like a dictionary. I never did fill it in and can’t really say I wish I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. alban

alban Well-Known Member

Hi , i my opinion if your looking at comercial works then yes chas would be a start , there are other H&S advisory companies but chas is well known . What you take out of it is up to you . A surveyor would like to see structure to a company such as a company tree with someone at the top whose responsible for H&S and theire qualifications , under him would be site supervisors , there qualifications cscs, sssts and so on . Obviously you can pad this out but it shows your a company that takes it seriously.
    A question I have seen on pre tender is . Who is responsible for H&S and how are you updated.
    I would look at other companies web sites and put together a printed introduction letter and card , for a surveyor to change his preferred contractor you need to tick all his boxes and stand out.
    If your looking at colleges and schools your guys need dbs checks , local authorities have commercial works schools offices and leisure centres smaller works is on the NSR schedule and you have experience working in public buildings on a live site . I think you have what they are looking for its just putting it together how they want it .

Thanks

20. Neilydun

I think basically, as you say, we have most of this in place.
    All my guys have cscs, nvq 2, and three of us have SSSTS, and first aid at work. We have worked at Scotland Yard, and are fully approved for all Met police work, including official secrets, full background disclosures etc for NHS & school work
    I am responsible for H&S and use an online company for anything im not 100% with.

Thanks for the advise, much appreciated