Tips for removing adhesive marks

Discussion in 'Wood' started by LisaBrown1983, Aug 18, 2019.

1. LisaBrown1983

LisaBrown1983 Member

Hi all!

My builder is currently laying a solid oak parquet floor and has got some adhesive on the wood in places. Any tips from anyone about how to remove this, without having to sand the whole floor? Really want to avoid having to do that! What do you pros do?

All tips welcomed! I thought I saw one of you mention once about some wipes or something you use but I can’t seem to find the thread.

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Is it not the "Builders" responsibility to clean up his mess ?

3. LisaBrown1983

LisaBrown1983 Member

Yes definitely! But want to direct him to do it in the right way!!!

4. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

What finish does it have?

5. Paul webb

Just noticed you said builders,so you just spent all that money on a floor and let a non professional fit it :rolleyes:

6. LisaBrown1983

LisaBrown1983 Member

Unfinished at the moment - but to be finished with oil.

Flooring company recommend buffing it before piling but not sure if this will remove the adhesive.

7. LisaBrown1983

LisaBrown1983 Member

Needs must am afraid - quote for extension included fitting it. They have done it before. Probably wouldn’t do the same again but at the stage of agreeing the quote we hadn’t really thought about floor too much.

8. Paul webb

I'm assuming they are just standard oak blocks, just be aware that they are normally just a planed finish, if you look closely you will probably see faint lines going across the blocks, these will be highlighted by the finish, unfortunately you will need to give it all at least a light sanding, to remove greasy fingerprints and other marks you can't see until the oil goes on

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

What adhesive did they use and is the wood floor oiled or lacquered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk