Tips on removing adhesive from solid wood flooring

Discussion in 'Wood' started by ashp132, Nov 20, 2019.

1. ashp132

ashp132 Member

Hi all, new here and couldn't find anything through the search function so thought I'd try a post.

Long story very short. I have been renovating my property. Coming up to a year and a half so keen to warp up things up, it’s mainly just flooring stuff left...

Screeded a 33m2 floor and purchased some used 18mm solid oak flooring. Ripped out of some country mansion - really nice stuff. Unfortunately it’s got glue adhesive on the back and on some of the grooves. I'm having a ball ache getting it off.

Tried a belt sander - useless. Tried an oscillating multi tool and even an angle grinder with a grinding cup - works ok but takes too long

I need to go through 35m2 of the solid wood and I'm just after some advice on how best to tackle it.

Is there some kind of glue remover substance or some other tool I'd be better off getting? Have had a look at a Planer/ Thicknesser but I really don't want to take off more than I need from the flooring.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Take them to a wood mill who will take a few mm off the bottom.

3. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Probably a bit late now, but a band saw would do the job

4. ashp132

ashp132 Member

Thanks for the replies. it was too much hassle in the end and i sold the flooring. Bought some new 18mm Oak