Treating Solid Oak in Kitchen Area

Discussion in 'Wood' started by ashp132, Jan 6, 2020.

1. ashp132

ashp132 Member

Have just had some 18mm Solid Oak installed in my kitchen extension. It was purchased already stained.

My fitter suggested i use something Actylic to protect and seal the floor from water and dirt etc

Can anyone suggest what i should be using to seal the wood flooring? I don't want it end up looking like a varnished shiny finish. I want to keep the natual colour of the flooring without it being noticeable there's something on it?

Thanks in advance

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

What’s the factory finish? Is it lacquer or oil? If oil is it UV, hard wax or natural

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I would have thought the factory finish was the protection

4. ashp132

ashp132 Member

5. Paul webb

You could try bona freshen up, it's a removable coating, so if you didn't like it, you could easily remove it

6. ashp132

ashp132 Member

Thanks for the suggestion and it looks ideal. However it does mention that it leaves the floor shiny which is what i'm trying to avoid.

The lacquer finish on the flooring isnt a varnished look and i'd prefer to keep the look.

I did think about covering the kitchen side with this stuff and leaving the living room side untreated but not sure how that would look.

Is there anything available on the market, which is the same as Bona Freshen Up but doesnt leave a varnished finish?

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

He would of been better off using a good seal of pva down the t and g when installing it. The lacquer will be fine. Maybe you should contact Bona and ask them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ashp132

ashp132 Member

i did just that and Bona recommended i use a product of theirs called 'Bona Traffic HD Extra Matt'
    I just googled the product and it looks a bit pricey but perfect for my requirements

Thank you Merit and Paul for your help...appreciate it.

9. Paul webb

You could have a look at the bona polish, they do a matt version, I've never tried it myself,so not sure what kind of finish it gives