Uneven carpet/tile threshold point

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by hyposmurf, Feb 15, 2019.

1. hyposmurf

hyposmurf New Member

I'm looking at having a floor tiled and with insulation this will raise the floor level, with a total build height of around 25-30mm. I'm trying to work out how easy this difference is to make up with before proceeding with the tiling work.My existing carpets and underlay I'll be replacing in the future.

If I take a thick underlay at say 10mm and a deep pile carpet at 19mm, that brings me near the 30mm but I take the carpet height will drop a bit over time,due to compression/wear. I was also thinking about using carpet shims of about 5-6mm if needed. The other option is to lay more screed, but this pretty expensive way to get over this.
    My questions are as follows:
    How easy for a carpet fitter to lay a carpet and underlay like that? Is it a pain with the gripper getting over a 10mm underlay and likely to come off?
    Do carpet fitters use shims for this purpose and am I likely to notice a 6mm once the carpet is laid, visually and by walking over it?Will the carpet wear more where the shim is laid?
    Using deep underlay and pile carpet will this feel very bouncy underfoot?
    I also want to match this deep pile carpet(which will be in a lounge) to carpet for the stairs/bedrooms. I understand that I'll need shorter pile carpet and type like twist pile to stand up to wear and compaction. How easy is it to match up colours and pile so that there is very little noticable difference between the carpets for lounge and stairs/bedrooms?
    How about a threshold for tile to carpet, could some of the difference be taken up in that or am I likely to trip on it?Last thing I want is a visible ramp between the that I'll also trip over.

2. hyposmurf

hyposmurf New Member

Is there nobody on this forum who has run into a problem with different floor levels at a door threshold when carpeting?

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Too many questions for a weekend on the lash. Will report back Monday o_O

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Just put a bespoke made oak threshold in to take out the height differences. It’s worked well for the last few hundred years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. hyposmurf

hyposmurf New Member

That's and option but if I go for this and a standard underlay and carpet at say 18mm(correct if Im wrong) then that leaves an oak threshold at a 12mm difference from one side to the other.Is that something that is likley to be cause people to trip on it not realising its at a gradient?Doesnt it also depend how far the tiler tiles up to the threshold, to give me enough distance to reduce the gradient of the oak threshold?Do carpet fitters sually install bespoke oak threshold and what type of cost am I looking at for one?
    What about fitting a 10mm underlay and a deep pile carpet at 19mm?Do carpet fitters have problems installing thick carpet and underlay like this?

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Depends on the carpet fitter. You might get a carpet fitter that’s only been fitting carpet for 6 month and has no wood tools. You might get a carpet fitter that has a supplier for oak thresholds that will fit your doorway. You should defiantly look for a Floorlayer that is capable and had the tools and knowledge to make a wood thresholds from scratch if you need a bespoke job. I wouldn’t let your tiler run the tiles to the edge of the doorway if you want a threshold. Why not instead get him to finish the tiles as far inside the doorway as possible so that you can have a shallower fall on your threshold

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

To be honest there are lots of carpet fitters out there that won’t even cut the bottom of your door if it needs trimming let alone make you a threshold

8. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

To be honest there are lots of carpet fitters out there who cant even install carpets correctly. Most will fit a z plate to the tiles, but on a 25 to 30 mm upright, even if fitted on top of gripper or a similar 8-10 mm piece of timber there will still be an acute angle between the tiled area and the carpet. The carpeted area really needs an incline put on it if you want a smooth edge, using staggered ply and an appropriate skim coat. There are lots of carpet fitters out there who wouldn't even know what skim coat is let alone know how to use a float.

9. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List