Van help

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Rob, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Rob

Rob Active Member

Hi I am looking at changing my van currently have a older t5 and was thinking of changing to a transit custom or Vauxhall Vivaro. Just after people experiences of either van and if you can get a 4m in if you remove bulkhead
    Thanks in advance

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I got the custom (which ill be selling after my hols next month) and decided to go with a new vivaro aswell, one of the reasons being is the mpg on my custom is garbage, £50 is giving me 210mls average (mixed driving) whereas every other van I've had was giving me near 300's if not a little bit more. The vivaro is returning 265 - 270 at the minute but it's still pretty fresh so I'm hoping it'll touch the 300+ soon. Not tried it in eco-mode yet. Yeah the custom has a bigger engine but not massively.

So the custom comes with (what the vivaro don't have):

Heated seats
    Auto lights/wipers
    Heated front screen
    Front sensors
    Alarm :)eek: yep vivaro doesn't have an alarm)

BUT I prefer my vivaro for the reasons that:

It's better to drive and more comfortable
    Better on fuel
    Lighter and less bouncy especially at the rear
    Handles better
    Better looking in my opinion and alot smoother.

If you want all the fancy bits then the custom all day long. I'm going to miss my heated front screen and heated seats in the winter but after 4yrs with the custom it started to do my head in.

Both can fit 4m carpets in without the bulkhead, I've seen it. Few of my sparky mates say same about consumption on the custom so where I thought it was probably mine at fault it wasn't.

What I will add aswell is I used a vw T6 for 5 weeks and I really can't see the hype about these vans, don't get me wrong they look the dogs kitted up but they are the most uncomfortable van I've honestly drove and loud cabin. I would never consider one of them again.

3. Rob

Rob Active Member

Thanks for your reply I agree about the transporters they are well overpriced for me and you get nothing but a steering wheel and gear box in the lower models. I’m not too fussed about bells and whistles in a van air con will do for me. My t5 has started to cost me a bit in parts as it’s getting on so will take a serious look for a Vivaro, was steering towards the transit just because I prefer the look thanks again

4. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Custom also has ejector passenger seat and and rear oil slick function

5. Haterz

Haterz Well-Known Member

Iv read the Citroen dispatch xl and pug expert xl can fit a 4m through load through hatch under the passenger seat with it folded up. The height of the vans means even a short arse like me could stick something on roof rack. But I haven’t had chance to test either of these vans yet. But that’s what I’m looking at in the next 5k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Rugmunching

Expert XL/dispatch/pro ace are meant be good vans. I know the firm I used to sub to have just ordered another making it their 3rd one. They are underestimated.

7. Freeley

Freeley Well-Known Member

I drove a trafic for a few years when the new model first came out (52 plate), I could only get one 4m carpet in on the diagonal and still shut the doors.
    Also unless the passenger bench seat now folds forward (it never used to) then you'll have to take it out or have a single passenger seat instead.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8. Haterz

Haterz Well-Known Member

I hope one of the Citroen’s pugs or Toyota’s works out for me otherwise I’m not sure where to go cause I’m not at crafter/sprinter level yet

9. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

If your carrying carpets you need a big van really Trying to get away with a Custom or Vivaro just isn’t going to be practical imo

I do still like my custom Great van never let me down

10. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

I dont know what T6 you drove, but mine is very comfortable. Its also the most relaxed, and quiet van I have driven at motorway speeds. I do a lot of motorway miles, and thats why I bought it.
    They can be very poor on fuel, but now I am above 30k that has improved a bit. Depending on what model you buy there also the fastest standard van on the road.
    I do agree they are overpriced, but residuals are very good.

11. Rugmunching

It was the T6 highline T32 150ps lwb model

12. Neilydun

Mines a T6 Highline, and really comfortable. We often do 400 miles in it, without a stop.
    Its a 204 so nice and quick.
    I used to have a Vivaro, and despite there bad name, mine did 100k without any issues at all, and was very good on fuel.
    The new one I think is super ugly, and I just cant get my head round a 1.6 engine lugging 3 ton around all day

13. Freeley

My T6 Highline was the best van I've ever had - quiet, lovely to drive, high quality dash. Granted the seats weren't the most comfortable but not an issue for me.
    Only had it 18 months then decided I needed something bigger, only lost £1k on it. No way could I've done that with a vivaro or transit custom.

14. Rugmunching

Just wasn't for me fella's sorry....

15. Freeley

No need to apologise mate we're all different. If we all bought the same van it would be boring and there'd be no point in threads like these!

16. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

Got a lwb 2014 sprinter and i get about 500 miles from 80 quid. Average 30-35mpg but can get 45mpg on the motorway. 5m straight in with no bulkhead too

17. Neilydun

Thats good for a big van, my Crafter gets low-mid 20's

18. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I’m looking to get a new van next year. Kieran is having my custom.
    I don’t want a tall van if possible. Would like a longer van. One that I can get in a 4m carpet if possible.
    Maybe the seat passenger seat drops down on it.

19. Neilydun

Like my old Hi-ace, front passenger seats flat, 4m on top. Perfect

20. Haterz

Haterz Well-Known Member

I don’t think any vans have fold down seats anymore, probably due to some euro standards for compulsory bulkhead or some other tosh