Vans again...

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Rugmunching, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

So on the topic of vans im thinking of changing mine this summer. Had the custom 4 years now and still in good shape with below average mileage but just fancy a change. Always wanted a transporter but they hold their price.

Looked into a slightly bigger van like the new crafter but might be to big for my domestic jobs, parking on streets outside terrace's might be a hassle.

Anyone else due for a change??

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I’m thinking of getting a small van for Kieran this year but need to wait and see when my business partner is retiring before I do that. He has a big transit but will sell that.

3. Peter A Lewis

Peter A Lewis Well-Known Member

I got rid of my Transit Custom a couple of years ago, had too many problems with it. Went back to a V.W.Transporter ( SWB), it's just right for my work.
    Always fancied a V.W.Caddy Maxi, but not in the market for a change just yet.
    Couldn't believe how much money the Transit Custom lost!! Transporters do hold their value.

4. Rugmunching

Defo agree with you there, the customs have slumped in price but mine has been reliable so far and I do like them but swaying towards a t6.
    My sparky mate has had 2 customs so far and his first was an omen, every month it was in ford having this that n the other fixed on it.

Only issue is in the swb can you get 8x4 sheets in without issues?

5. Rugmunching

I've got a 56 plate connect Daz and it's been around the world and back but is still trotting along. Use it for quotes and small jobs then the custom for the bigger jobs.

Do like the new Vito but feel like a boat at speed!

6. Peter A Lewis

Peter A Lewis Well-Known Member

Yes you can get 8' x 4' sheets in the SWB Transporter. They go in at an angle no problem, it was the first thing I tried when I went to buy it, even took an 8' x 4' sheet to the dealers to see if it would fit!!

7. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Vito for me, had my last one 10 years no issues apart from usual running costs. Now got a newer one. Thing I don't like is fuel tank is smaller due to the Adblue tank being next to it

8. Rugmunching

You are ok Mario because yours is always weighted down with 3 ton :eek:

9. NathanKing

NathanKing Well-Known Member

When I was employed I had a 64plate peugot boxer. Comfortable and nippy

I preferred it to any van I've used, not to big like the crafters but big enough for 4m

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

10. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

I bought a T6 last November, 204 brake. I got the two wheel drive, but if you go for a 204, you really need a 4 motion to get the power down, in anything but perfect conditions. Its really quick, but shit on diesel. Constantly doing regens, on the dpf, but It is comfortable, and really quiet at speed. I`ve put 6k miles on it, and so far reliable. 6k will use about 10 litres of adblue
    We run a Crafter too, which is also really bad on fuel. Same engines I think.
    The Caddy Maxi`s are excellent on fuel though, and have also been trouble free. I don`t often get to drive them, but when I do its just like being in a car. I was thinking of having the 1.6 chipped.

11. Rugmunching

Nice one Neil appreciate the feedback. I have heard the t6 can be thirsty so maybe a rethink o_O

Really like the look of the vans, only reason I'm thinking of getting rid of the custom is to get the 13k for it before it drops to 3k in a couple yrs time lol

12. Neilydun

I left on a run from Edinburgh to Manchester the other week, at 4am. Set the cruise to 85, and averaged 26mpg
    Best I have managed is a run from Manchester to Royston, 20 miles on the M6 roadworks @ 50mph, and 20 miles on the A14 @ 50mph in roadworks again. 190 miles total, 39mpg. Generally the van is at least two thirds loaded.
    I believe the 150bhp is supposed to be a bit better, but still not great.
    The upside is the speed surprises a lot of cars...... Fastest van i`ve been in by a mile

13. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

ha, I'm on a diet...

14. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

My vito does about 3500 miles before it needed adblue and does about 48mpg

15. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

How many.. :eek: mind you if I were on your wages it wouldn't bother either.. lol

16. Neilydun

lol, I looked at a Vito 119 before the Transporter. Must have been a cancelled order, and was packed with extras. I would have bought it, but when I decided to go for it, someone beat me to it.
    I had a Sprinter brand new on a 52 plate, which had an electrical fault, and was also plagued with other issues. I said i`d never buy another Merc, but now to be honest, I think there all the same anyway. Lots share engines, and platforms.
    I was getting about 45-48 out of my old Vito. That was a really good van for me, 100k miles, and no issues whatsoever.

17. Rugmunching

My custom still only averages 29mpg! God knows how these other guys are getting 40+ out of theirs....must just roll to work.

18. neilrj

neilrj Active Member

If you're thinking 2nd hand and really small like a Kangoo or Partner etc then try West Wirral at Cross Lane as they have literally hundreds of all ages/mileage - each year it swaps from Pug, Reno or Fiat or whatever, and so have a massive choice. I've bought 4 so far for my boss, had no bother as they've all been mint 1yo, albeit high mileage (railtrack/UK service bods) not a local sparky doing 2 miles to chippy/CEF 3x a day etc ;-)

19. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

I get 30 mpg out of mine 64 plate and nearly hitting 70G on the clock (slight adjustment will sort that :rolleyes:)
    No way anyone is getting 40mpg impossible

20. Neilydun

Is that a Euro6 ?
    It would seem that most Euro6 are shite on fuel.