Vans again...

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Rugmunching, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

Iv always had swb transporters I’m on my 4th now
    you can take the lower metal bulkhead off and slide ply flat between the rear wheel arches . I built a huge shelf above the arches that runs from black doors to the rhs of the side door

I fancy a swb crafter next but they are pretty rare I need more cab room for the kids seats now lol

2. Freeley

Freeley Well-Known Member

I'm picking up my new lwb crafter on Monday, looking forward to it.
    I always had transporters before, the last one I bought was a T6 in March 2016, but then just after I won a big carpet job which was an hour away. I couldn't bear the thought of taking carpets down on a daily basis, scratching the dash etc, so I bought a cheap lwb sprinter to do the job, the idea being to sell it again when I'd finished.
    But it made life so much easier with a 4.3m load length behind the bulkhead that I kept it and sold the T6 once the 12 month lease had expired (only lost £1k on it by the way after 18 months)!
    Now nearly 2 years later I couldn't go back to a transporter as they seem so small.
    Parking and access down narrow lanes etc can be a problem on occasion but the pros outweigh the cons for me.
    I've got all the assistance packages on my crafter which will help protect me and the van I hope - park assist, lane keeping assist, lane change assist, rear assist, cross wind assist, side protection, the list goes on!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. Peter A Lewis

Peter A Lewis Well-Known Member

4. Peter A Lewis

Peter A Lewis Well-Known Member

Enjoy the new Crafter, if you are doing a lot of carpet work they make life easy. But for me it's mainly LVT and timber flooring so the Transporter is a good option. If we get a big job in we just hire a big van for a day, it works for me.

5. Freeley

Cheers. Yep absolutely we all have different wants and needs. I don't actually do that much carpet overall but I've just got used to the room now. I can have 2 or 3 days worth of materials on there at any given time which reduces the amount of time spent going to my lock up.

6. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Is it the new shape one ? The old ones are not very good. Slow, and juicy

7. Freeley

Yes it's the new shape looks like a pumped up T6. Hated the old shape would rather have got a new sprinter than one of those.
    VW have split from Mercedes for the new van so it's all new from the ground up. Think fuel economy is still nothing to write home about but I only get about 28mpg in my sprinter anyway so any improvement on that will be a bonus.

8. Neilydun

Ive seen a few about, and like the new shape. I guess its the same engine as the 2.0 T6.
    I love the speed of my T6, but mpg is really low.
    Be interesting to see how you find it.

9. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

I got 49mpg from my vito this week

10. Neilydun

I struggle to get 30, and often don`t

11. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

So come on then, gis a review of your new Bus...
    Looked at one of these on Friday and im liking them more than I thought I would.

How you finding it so far?

12. Freeley

Not quite done 1000 miles yet but mpg has been pretty shocking so far, only averaging about 25!
    And quite a small tank as well so get less than 400 miles to a tank.
    Hoping it will improve a bit as it loosens up but not holding my breath.
    Apart from that it's a lovely van to drive and well pleased with it.

13. Freeley

It's an awesome van, so much better than the previous Merc built model.
    Fuel economy aside I've lived it in the 3 weeks I've had it.
    Lots of people don't like the electric steering but I'm a big fan, lovely and light and it enables things like park assist and lane keeping assist to function.
    I've got a fair bit of kit on mine but a low spec model would still be sweet.
    I'd advise anyone thinking of buying one to make sure it has the optional led roof lighting in the cargo area, as you only get a couple of puny standard bulbs otherwise.

14. Freeley

Lived should be loved btw!

15. Neilydun

Sounds about right for mpg. I don`t know why Vw can`t make them more economical. I think if I had spec`d mine from new, I would have had the long range tank fitted, at least that would give more range.
    What power engine is yours ? Does is constantly do regens on the DPF ?

16. Freeley

Mine's the 140ps. Not sure about the regens but the first couple of weeks I had it the engine fan would run on for about 5 minutes after turning the engine off and there was a hot smell if you get my drift.
    Hasn't done it since then.

It's going back to the dealer tomorrow for repairs thanks to their shoddy plyliners. When they did the wheel arch boxes they screwed right through the wheel arches 3 times both sides. Couldn't believe it when I saw it.
    I said I wanted a new van but have had to make do with them repairing to vw's spec along with an official letter stating that the bodywork warranty will be unaffected and some compensation.

17. Neilydun

Yep, when the fans run on after you switch off, its doing a regen. Normally smells like burning rubber. Mine seems to do them all the time, and that uses a lot of fuel itself.
    That plyling is a joke ! How did they even manage to do that !

18. Freeley

Ah ok I was thinking there might've been something wrong with it to start with.
    The ply is an absolute joke, dealer tried to brush it off as normal to start with they couldn't care less.
    I won't name and shame them until I get the van back though!
    Has put a bit of a dampener on the whole new van thing unfortunately.