Vinyl LVT OK On This Floor?

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by hugewesty, Aug 8, 2020.

1. hugewesty

hugewesty New Member

Got a floor that is mostly level and flat for my kitchen that I want to put LVT tile on (floating floor kind). Most of the kitchen is old marley type tile and perfectly level (see picture 1). However there is then a transition (see picture 2) which is a very slight slope, then the floor is perfectly level again.

Now this little transition is very very slight, but has the odd little bump or two - which I hope is nothing, I have shown on pictures, 3 & 4.

I understand LVT as vinyl is a bit more flexible then say laminate, and I think whats best is to lay a LVT underlay which I understand are like 1-2mm, which should cover these little 'harsh spots' and then be good to go?

Does this all sound right? Really, really Want to try and avoid self levelling if possible.....

Apologies - I tried to embed photo, but can only attach file due to spam protection...

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      66.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      52.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Jason Sheehan

Jason Sheehan Well-Known Member

You need to latex to get it level or level it out. That's standard. Depends on what quality of finish you're aiming for but any fitter who didn't latex said floor before fitting I would kick off site, never to return. There's rough and then there's just crap.

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

You will see the ridge through the lvt once its fitted if you dont have it levelled. No matter what underlay you use you wont get rid of that difference in level.
    Dont cut corners, get it properly sorted!

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Yes needs to be levelled. You could do with a long level to see how much screeding you need to do.