Warping/“bubbles” original hardwood floors

Discussion in 'Wood' started by SEAKhome, Sep 22, 2023.

1. SEAKhome

SEAKhome New Member

Hello, I’m in Southeast Alaska, first time homeowner. I live in a pretty cold and wet environment here and have limited options when it comes to getting help. I’m pretty handy on my own, first time working on flooring.

So this last week I decided to replace the hearth for my wood stove, all summer it has been barricaded with a baby gate to keep our kids out. As I get to work I notice some pretty large warped areas on the floor which I don’t believe were there last year. I’m sure it has something to do with humidity in the crawl space and I intend on getting a dehumidifier when I can find one.

When we bought the place last fall, we did notice a few other warped areas in the living room, also trip hazards, but we just figured we would replace the floors one day.

We have now decided we would like to try and save our wood floors if we can so I wanted to know if anyone on here has dealt with this and what your solution was? I’m just wondering if it’s possible to get these warped spots flattened out.

I see the last piece of flooring against the wall is a trimmed about a 1/3 of a full board…would it be possible to remove this last piece and give the floor room to lay flat? I believe the trim would still cover the gap.

If this is just a crazy idea let me know. I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel.

I’ll attach some photos for reference. The largest warped area near the hearth is approximately 1/8” high, 9” wide and spans the length of the room about 18’ but isn’t quite as high at the base other ends.

In the photos, I circled the warped spot, and point to the board I was thinking of removing
    Appreciate any help.

Attached Files:

2. SEAKhome

SEAKhome New Member

upload_2023-9-22_10-35-50.jpeg

Photo of board considering removing

3. SEAKhome

SEAKhome New Member

Photo of warped area

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Well it’s defo too tight so removing that piece would be at good start