Wet screed causing lifting LVT - HELP

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Sam Cordery, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Maybe he thought of he put it down thicker it'll stay down :D

2. Sam Cordery

Sam Cordery Member

Thanks guys. Yes a massive headache for us as homeowners, we had already moved out for 8 months, now all furniture in place and decorating done (thankfully not skirting yet) so not sure where we will go but cross that bridge when we come to it. Just need floorer to admit fault first. Appreciate your input and will let you know how I get on!

3. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Just so your aware, there are systems available for damp anhydrite screeds with underfloor heating.
    So, if its still damp, this can be dealt with.

4. AngryAndy

AngryAndy Well-Known Member

If you have underfloor heating it could be used to help dry the screed before you get someone (a professional) to undertake the relaying of the floor.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  5. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Complete prep failer
    It's most likely dry if you forced dried it Anhydrite dries very quickly Thats one of its benefits

6. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

As above really, there’s calcium sulphate screeds for calcium sulphate sub floors, grind it back and start again, plenty of systems available, case hardeners, dpm, primers, new screed etc, loads of options. Not just NA.

7. Sam Cordery

Sam Cordery Member

Hi, I've got some clearer photos now. Where the floor is blowing it is so easy just to pull a tile up. You'll see attached the latex is still on the floor tile with small pin holes appearing. I can only see one layer of anything, doesn't appear to be any layer of primer??? Thoughts from you pros??!

Attached Files:

8. Sam Cordery

Sam Cordery Member

One of the bottom of the tile...apologies it's a screenshot as was too large to upload the jpeg

Attached Files:

9. Sam Cordery

Sam Cordery Member

And this is the anydrite screed....

Attached Files:

10. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Not a spec of primer on there.

It'll be easy to rip it all up atleast :rolleyes:

11. merit

merit Well-Known Member

No primer, does look grinded but could just mean the latence is stuck to the blown screed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Sam Cordery

Sam Cordery Member

What do you mean by grinded? Note we did remove the laitance first time round with a rotary floor sander. Hoping you are saving it doesnt need another sand then?! As such a messy job!

13. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I don’t think it does now but there should of been a full surface grind by the screed company y after it was done

14. Spacey

At least the uplift will be easy

15. Spacey

Out of interests How long was it before it blew ?

16. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

Latience hardens the longer it’s left should be removed 4-6 days after I had a job once where the builder told me it was power floated concrete the latience hadn’t been removed at all and the latience looked grey I prepared at with copper disc and it just skimmed it because the latience was so hard making me think it was power float , I primed etc the floor blew found out after he’d got a company in then was told it was anhidrite by the contractor I told the customer I’d replace the lot sometimes mistakes happen and ya have to take it on the chin

17. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

It had been left for 3 month

18. Sam Cordery

Sam Cordery Member

Floor laitance in this situation was removed within the week so not a problem there.

Spacey- floor blew within a few days of laying in one area before it was fixed. Had another 2 patch jobs since that and now daily there is more blowing. 2 months later!

19. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

He should replace in my opinion wrong screed used it not the fault of the customer ya payed for nice floor not a nightmare

20. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Wrong levelling compound, should of had 2 coats of acrylic primer and a gypsum based smoothing compound. And then hope it never gets wet