What floor preparation before Amtico fitting?

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Leinster6, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Leinster6

Leinster6 New Member

Hi All,

I'm purchasing a new build and want to put Amtico Spacia down throughout the downstairs.

Developer has quoted £3744 for approx. 45sqm to supply and fit.

I think this is too expensive, so got a quote of another supplier of £2565 plus any potential floor preparation, with latex screen costing £13 /sqm or a feather finish at £2.50 /sqm.

As this is a new build with concrete floor what prep would I need if any?

Thanks

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

My god a feather finish if needed? On a new build floor!! Get a moisture reading of your subfloor first please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sivsaints

Sivsaints Active Member

All I’d say is get a local decent independent flooring company in and AVOID bob the builder or building company as there definitely be adding there bit on and most probably giving you bad advice.

4. Sivsaints

Sivsaints Active Member

Also you can’t just give people prices online as site inspection is needed to identify what the subfloor actually is and like Merit said check moisture levels.

5. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

6. Leinster6

Leinster6 New Member

Merit - UTV

Developer is Taylor Wimpey

Don't know any further floor details as not fully built yet.

Someone else recommended John Lewis for Amtico - I've seen the work and it looks top quality. (Got my quote with local independent flooring company)

7. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

It will almost certainly need a Damp proof membrane on the concrete first then a primer and a smoothing compound not just a coat of feather finish
    I’d dismiss those whole said that immediately and the builder

Cheapest quote isn’t always the right one to go with

8. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Done 5 this year and all had to have this

Grind the floor
    2 coats of liquid dpm
    Prime & screed the floor at 4mm
    Amtico

9. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

45m2 Amtico Spacia straight lay I’d be approx £80m2

10. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

Dpm and screed , and underbevelling the Spacia

11. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Just to add, personally I’d recommend the concrete base gets a screeding before dpm I’ve never come across a builders screed smooth enough to dpm directly to and no amount of grinding will get it there. So grind off laitence, screed subfloor, dpm (depending on rh% will tell you what product should be used) then screed over the dpm, prime and install just hope they don’t use gypsum based products it makes prep work more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. nevertrever2

nevertrever2 Well-Known Member

We've done loads of Taylor wimped homes most of there floors are block and beam with insulation and 80 mm of concrete over the top, check for moisture but we haven't had to dpm or grind one, we give it a once over with the buffer to get the crap off, and we always screed