Wood - do you see anything wrong with the boards

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by Diesel10, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Diesel10

Diesel10 Well-Known Member

hi guys

The floors not finished . It's been plywooded sp101. And then with flexi f ball glue B95 stuck down. It's a solid wood floor 18mm thick with random lengths.

The customer has a issue . Not how it's fitted but something else. The edges so far haven't been finished which ain't a issue but the planks she has issues with . Can you guys notice what it is. The customer has supplied the wood. image.jpg image.jpg

2. Diesel10

Would you guys fit this board?

Attached Files:

3. tea one-sugar

tea one-sugar Well-Known Member

is the clue the post it notes-presumably its the resin filled knot holes,apart from strengthing the wood i think they enhance the looks

4. Goatboy

Goatboy Active Member

I like a few knots here and there but not the savage ones.

5. Diesel10

N
    No they didn't mind the black infill. As long as it wasn't big. The post it notes have moved and I give you guys a clue . From the stair case hand side it's the 2rd and 3rd row?

6. Diesel10

The single board picture the customer said on the left hand side you can see that all the way along the board about 30mm from the tongue side you can see there is swirls (to me it looks like where they have cut the wood the blade marks, but I could be wrong) she said that is unacceptable to put in?

What do you think would you put that board in?

7. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

it's wood duh, you're going to get that especially on rustic grades

8. brenchy

brenchy Well-Known Member

it's a true range of a rustic oak natural characterstics, medullary rays, sound heartwood, knots etc. you almost need to get the customers to sign off what is expected in the wood grade so there is no come backs ( that's what my team do )

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Nightmare....your customer has suddenly become a wood expert!

10. Diesel10

Nightmare is understatement as some people think there are right and the professionals are wrong and we are trying to con them. They won't pay me and said we are getting another fitter in to remove and refit. Also they were moaning that there is too much oil (the floor is brushed and oiled) on some of the pieces I have fitted and they should not have been fitted.

11. merit

merit Well-Known Member

They are taking the piss mate. They supplied the floor, you are just the fitter! They should of inspected it or been there when it was fitted

12. brenchy

brenchy Well-Known Member

Totally agree with Merit, their issue should be with the supplier but the old card will be pulled here and they will always blame the installer. I think it looks great, nice to have a bit of flare in the boards.

13. gazhugs

gazhugs Well-Known Member

I concur with Merit on this as well, how can they possibly have a moan when they supplied the floor, those pieces didn't look too bad to me...there are more 'busy' boards down than those, what do the punters honestly expect when they buy a cheap C+D grade rustic floor...

14. gazhugs

gazhugs Well-Known Member

Nothing at all wrong with that board imo, its a nice piece of timber, i'd say the slight curve/swirls are natural...crosscut marks that you often see on new unfinished blocks/boards are always at 90 degrees across the timber, and will be across the full width of the board and from top to bottom as well...

I personally can't see their point...

15. Diesel10

Thanks guys for the responses.

It makes me feel a little better because I felt really bad as I thought it's my fault a little but if fellow professionals Think the same as me then ., also don't feel bad to walking away.

They did Pay the fit side but only half.

You lose some and you win more .

So thanks guys.

16. tea one-sugar

tea one-sugar Well-Known Member

and good luck to the next fitter!:eek:

17. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

The next fitter will have a look at whats down not be sure whats wrong then proceed to double his rate when he realises what kind of customer he has on his hands, id just walk away personally if I went in saw that and they were not happy with it after suppling the wood, more hassle than its worth sometimes those kind of people.

18. LSJ

LSJ Member

It's a 50/50 choice. Depends on the customer......but it looks rustic grade so I don't see the problem. I'm sure most people have come across these types of people.

19. AngryAndy

AngryAndy Well-Known Member

I don't particularly like the grade of the floor, it's too busy for me, BCD grade with little B and a lot of CD and filler. Presumably they paid accordingly for this low grade flooring? They as the buyers should have inspected it before commissioning an installation.

Also, the entire floor is BCD from what I can see from the pictures so it isn't a case of you putting one or two D Grade, out of character boards, in the middle of a beautiful select Grade floor. You didn't. Every board in the floor is without exception, "very rustic".

If on the other hand they if didn't get the floor grade they thought they were purchasing then that is another matter, but they should have inspected so they could take up with the supplier prior to installation, not with you after it's too late. You simply followed an instruction to install it so it has nothing to do with you, unless they can prove that they told you it was supposed to be a Select or Natural Grade floor, and I'm reasonably confident that they didn't. They chose and purchased the floor, you were only asked to install it, and you appear to have done a good job as far as they would let you go. Why would you question the floor grading? As I said, they supplied and to me that would indicate satisfaction with its quality, It's certainly implied, and I believe a judge would also see it that way.

A professional complainer maybe? I hope you haven't finished the job and if you have you should go after them in the small claims court for the full fee and any additional expenses incurred in dealing with their frivolous complaint.

Glad I'm not a fitter, I'd have a fit!!

20. Diesel10

No way did I finish the floor . The first pic is all the flooring I did for them. They paid for half fitting cost and I thought I will leave it like that, at least I got some money out of them .

They supplied all the materials except for glue .

The thing is if a customer likes the colour of something they have purchased and we say that's horrible to them I'm not fitting it, weather it's carpet wood lvt or whatever . It's there choice we just say it looks amazing good choice so they feel good about there homes and fit it.

If a board was damaged or if the black knott filled bits were bad I wouldn't of fitted it but she was too fussy to stress about .