Adhesive recommendation - J2 flooring Natural Timbers

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Morgan, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Morgan

Morgan New Member

Hello all,

Reading this forum has led me to the purchase of one of the J2 flooring Natural Timbers products to DIY install. Getting confused about the best glue to use for us, so hope someone will be able to recommend the most suitable:

• No underfloor heating
    • No warm spots from big windows or such, its an old croft cottage and none of the teeny windows face south
    • Installing on top of existing laminate flooring which is in good condition
    • 40sq metres throughout the downstairs, so kitchen/bathroom/front room
    • Lots of nooks and crannies to get into so anything requiring the pressure of a big roller wouldn't be viable

Any general tips also very welcome!

Many thanks

2. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

You can’t install ontop of laminate . Needs uplifted and flooring grade ply and feather finish installed.
    Fball f48 adhesive. , get an lvt installer to do the job

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • List
  3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh

double sided tape?

4. Ryanf4888

Ryanf4888 Well-Known Member

Yeah just don’t bother that’s my tip.

5. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

:D
    Nooooooooo
    Don't waste your money, you'll lay that over the laminate and it won't stick pluses it'll move all over the place.

I popped in to look at a job couple weeks ago and they had laid Lvt over laminate flooring, 2 - 3mm gaps everywhere and the customer was telling how proud he was of himself for doing what he thought was a decent job :D

6. Morgan

Morgan New Member

Oh good grief! Thanks for the input everyone.
    There is loads of mixed info on the internet on the subject hence the question here.

Our laminate is old and doesn't have a texture - from what I read it was the texture of more modern laminate that caused the adhesion issues, or is that incorrect?

There's no movement in at all, bar two planks where there was nothing to stop it coming adrift as it just finished under the kitchen cupboard with nothing to 'stop' the ends. Plus a couple of bits need sanding where the dog puppy pee'd on it when a puppy and its the edges are a teeny bit raised.

It seems as solid as bloody concrete hence me feeling it would be fine... still a definite no? It's old chipboard underneath so should be able to stick it to that. But wanted to avoid either the cost of plywood which is a fortune or the hassle of moving all the skirtings down.

Yes I know I should have more money to do it properly :D

7. Rugmunching

Crack on, sounds like you just want us to agree with your idea so when we say take it up, 6mm ply and fit then you'll just say what you've already said.
    Good luck :D

8. Morgan

Morgan New Member

Aye you're right - I've boxed (tiled?!) myself into a corner. Cheers though!

9. Rugmunching

A true 'handyman' would never tile himself into a corner!

What makes me laugh is we get DIY'ers that come on the forum and ask our advice, we give the advice from our experience and knowledge for the DIY'er to question our advice anyway.

Go for it and see if it works out for you, doesn't mean it won't work, it's a question how long it'll last and of its lasts forever then win win but its not the CoRrEcT way of doing it, that's the point

10. Ryanf4888

This! They ask advice knowing they’re going to do what they want anyway so why ask?!

Not everyone does this but a lot do.

my question is what laminate have you got that was able to be sanded? Never heard of that before.

11. Morgan

Morgan New Member

Well I have followed the adhesive advice I asked for and was was kindly given, that's arriving today.

The laminate has been down ~25 yrs, so other than 'ye olde' I'm afraid I can't tell anymore than that, never had laminate before we moved here. Imagine it was a good quality one judging by the brands of the other fixtures that are still here from that time.

12. Rugmunching

What actual flooring are you actually fitting?
    Lvt or spc?

13. Ryanf4888

J2 Natural Timbers is a dryback LVT mate

14. Ryanf4888

Yeah but you need to be adhering the LVT onto a flooring grade plywood or smoothing compound. Not on top of laminate flooring.

15. Rugmunching

Do they do spc as well?
    Or have I confused that with something else o_O

Dryback stuck directly to laminate :D classic!!

16. Ryanf4888

yes they do a click but not in the natural timbers range mate.

17. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

J2 natural timbers or SPC isn’t suitable to be installed directly over an existing laminate floor, sub floor must be prepped to sr1 standards using either a suitable flooring grade ply or smoothing compound