Amtico Lifting Up Repair

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Steve Smith, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith New Member

Hi All,
    Hopefully someone can give me some advice on an issue I’m having with a few Amtico tiles lifting up.

I bought a new build 7 years ago and this week noticed that 3 of the Amtico tiles in the kitchen are lifting up . On taking a closer look it appears that the screed below the tiles in question is crumbling . The tiles are all in different areas of the floor and the rest of the floor appears fine. I am looking to fix the issue myself by lifting the tile, removing the crumbling screed from below , sealing the concrete but am unsure what I can use to stick the tile to the sealed concrete to achieve the same level as the rest of the tiles that have the screed below ? The screed is approx 3-4mm thick .
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

3 separate areas could mean the start of the domino effect.

Firstly you need to know why the tiles are starting to lift instead of 'filling the gaps'

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Any under floor heating ? Could be another un primed gypsum based screed

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith New Member

Thanks for the responses- no underfloor heating
    I agree and that is a concern. The flooring has been down for 7 years and covers my hall and the kitchen , Only 3 tiles currently affected so was hoping to just repair the 3 tiles ( if that’s possible) and monitor rather than rip up the whole floor and the expense that would come with it.

5. Rugmunching

You might find once you start lifting the offenders the next one will want to follow it...

I've replaced a whole ground floor that eventually failed 4yrs after it was put down.

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith New Member

You may well be right but I’m going to try and replace the tiles as a first solution and see how it goes . Really want to avoid ripping up the whole floor unless I have to . With that in mind can you recommend a way/products I could use to relay the tiles onto the sealed concrete to achieve the same level as the rest of the floor? Would need to be something I can apply to 3-4mm

7. Rugmunching

For a quick/temp fix you can use a feather compound such Ardex a45, depends how big the fill is. You'd need to take out surrounding planks to get a better go at filling it level.

8. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

It looks like Gypsum so a cement based feather wouldn't be advisable.

9. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Problem you are going to have is once you start lifting around that area you'll be going all the way with it.

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Just put some p51 primer down first and youll be fine

11. Rugmunching

Indeed MJ hence the Temp fix ;)

12. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Looking at the pic it probably wasn’t grinded and primed correct as most new builds aren’t as they are rushed and done cheap by contractors. But as the lads say. Uplift to a point the smoothing compound is solid then fill that in with feather finish or rapid repair.