Carpet Cleaning Damage

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by kick2011, Aug 23, 2011.

1. kick2011

kick2011 New Member

I have an inquiry with regard's to the cleaning of carpets.
    When using a carpet cleaner for general use, with normal amount's of water
    would it be a normal occurance for the water to soak through the carpet onto
    the sub boards causing so much damage as to needing to replace the sub boards.
    Logically speaking I would assume not, especially if the carpet dried within
    a short period of time.
    Can you please advise on whether this would be something that can easily
    happen?

2. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Well-Known Member

no, not in my experience
    Carpet cleaners should not do any damage like what youve quoted here
    Im sure someone with more experience in this field (im a floor fitter) will chime in and help :D

3. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

yes you can damage carpet and the subfloor underneath. But a professional wont do this. For someone to do this they are applying way to much cleaner.

4. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

No way should there be any water visable. Were you there when they were cleaning it?

5. seattlebest

seattlebest New Member

I know that carpet cleaners are very professional. However always select a good cleaner. I used Stanley Steemer Carpet Cleaner. They were a little expensive, but they did a great job and I think it was worth it!

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

in no way should the floorboards be soaked, if it's chipboard (particle board) they will weaken and poss fall apart. floorboards (spruce) will warp (crown or cup) and show ridges though the carpet.
    This is and was always the problem with the Vax type machines designed for diy cleaning, people never follow instructions and always give it "an extra bit of water" and never proplery extract enough of the water they put on.
    I would always suggest that people employ a professional cleaner with experience not a weekend hire from the diy store

7. joseph bunny53

joseph bunny53 New Member

It is critical to select a trustworthy carpet cleaning provider. I chose Stanley Steemer Carpet Cleaner, and even though they were a little more expensive, they performed a fantastic job, so I think I made the right choice!

8. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Pleeeeeaaassseeeee....all this dodgy meat is making me cringe